where is the yeast flavor really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastHerder

Reaction score
I like the banana notes that WLP300 gives but I also like the look of a nice clear beer. I've read that the banana notes literally comes from the yeast, but does that really mean the yeast gotta be floating around in the finished beer?

So, can I have both banana notes and crystal clear beer without resorting to weird adjuncts?

The yeast produce chemicals that they leave behind in the beer, the flavor is not the yeast itself but byproducts of reproduction and fermentation.
Stressed yeast leave behind other chemicals that are not as pleasant. either way these flavors remain after the yeast is gone.

Yep. The flavors the yeast contribute come from the fermentation process. When the yeast eat their sugars, they give off mostly CO2 and alcohol, but also smaller amounts of other compounds that provide the flavor.

That is, if you completely filter your beer and removed all yeast, you'd still have the flavor compounds they produced during fermentation.

I like the banana notes that WLP300 gives but I also like the look of a nice clear beer. I've read that the banana notes literally comes from the yeast, but does that really mean the yeast gotta be floating around in the finished beer?

So, can I have both banana notes and crystal clear beer without resorting to weird adjuncts?

The short answer is yes. You are not tasting the yeast; you're tasting what yeast produces. Alcohol is also what yeast produces, not the yeast itself. But usually banana notes are preferred in wheat beer. Wheat gives off the haze.

menerdari said:
The yeast produce chemicals that they leave behind in the beer, the flavor is not the yeast itself but byproducts of reproduction and fermentation.
Stressed yeast leave behind other chemicals that are not as pleasant. either way these flavors remain after the yeast is gone.

While this is true the yeast itself has a lot of flavor. Take a bottle conditioned hefe and carefully pour 3/4 of the beer then taste it. Now swirl up that beer left in the bottle and pour all that yeast into your glass. It will taste very different. I love that flavor. Some don't. Try it for your self.

Ferment WLP002 at about 72F an you'll get some slight banana-y flavor and a very clear beer. Cheers!

Take a bottle conditioned hefe and carefully pour 3/4 of the beer then taste it. Now swirl up that beer left in the bottle and pour all that yeast into your glass. It will taste very different.
Tried this and it does increase what I'm calling the banana notes, so maybe what I'm thinking of is different than just the esters.

Ferment WLP002 at about 72F an you'll get some slight banana-y flavor and a very clear beer. Cheers!
I'll have to try this and see if it gives what I'm thinking of.

Thanks all!

Back