Where/how to start? ANYTHING HELPS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyo_brews

Reaction score
I have been interested in home brewing for years and am slightly overwhelmed with the options. I thought the best place to look for advice as to where to start would be by asking you guys. So how would you guys recommend i start?
with extract or should i jump straight into all grain. Money isn't an issue and Being an Engineer I thoroughly love a challenge. please any advice helps. Also Im trying to figure out what all i need (i.e. whats unnecessary and what do I absolutely need?)

YouTube, baby. You can anything with YouTube and an hour. Brewing isn't hard if you follow the directions closely and clean everything like crazy. There certainly is an art and science to it, but getting started is easy. Like the game Othello. Seconds to learn, years to master. Start with a kit and have a good time. However long you think it's going to take, add two hours.

This is coming from my long career of 3 months and two whole batches. I'm and idiot. If I can do it, so can you. The worst thing that will happen is that you will make beer. If you screw up this batch, then the next time, you'll make good beer.

Have fun!!

I recommend watching some youtube videos on the different styles of brewing.

Look at extract brewing as well as partial mashing, all grain, and my favorite BIAB (Brew in a bag) which is a type of all grain. Get a copy of Palmer's book How to Brew, read a lot of threads in the archives here. Have fun with it and take your time learning. You want your first experiences to be enjoyable and successful. Northern brewer and Austin brew supply sells some good starter kits.

Most of us started with extract to see if we liked the hobby and to build some basic skills.

Best advice I can give is pick up a copy of How to Brew by John Palmer (i recommend a physical copy and not an e-reader version); that book really should be a part of every home brewers library. One thing that should be pointed out is that some stuff in it is a little out dated (such as the advice on racking to a secondary).

Personally I started out all grain and have never looked back. Not to say there is anything wrong doing extract, it comes down to personal preference.
I like the fact of having more involvement in the process including growing my own hops.
You can start off small with a cooler converted mash tun and a brew kettle. I bought a stainless turkey fryer and installed a site glass and ball valve to start out with. Just watch some You Tube videos and get some ideas.
Good luck!

Hey man, I was just in your shoes a couple of months ago.

FWIW, this is the easily the best deal going right now for a starter kit, looks like they've extended this sale for a few more days. It's a pretty crazy deal considering it comes with an ingredient kit. I have my first batch fermenting right now from this kit. Even without a discount it's one of the best deals going so with the discount it's a no-brainer IMO:

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/...pre_purchase-copy_box-web-deals&rui=190673499

Even though you said money's no object, starting with a basic kit like that and working your way up is probably still the way to go. Brew a batch or two of simple extract beers, and expand to secondary fermentation, etc. as you go along.

Beyond that kit, you need bottles, and a 5 gallon kettle. If you don't have a kettle, their 5 gallon kettle will be your best bet as the price is good and flat rate shipping is included with your whole order.

Also, I would highly recommend their "essentials" gravity testing kit, and a decent thermometer if you don't already have one. I got their gravity kit and I'm glad I did.

For bottles, you will likely want to get them locally, either by scrounging them up from friends/etc. or buying a case or two from a local home brew store.

The suggestion to check out "How to Brew" by John Palmer is great. In addition, if you want more reading/listening, I can highly recommend the "History and Science of beer" lecture series by Charles Bamforth. I listened to the audiobook version and enjoyed it a lot.

Oh, and do LOTS of reading here on this forum. It's a great resource.

Depends on how much $$ you have to spend and space etc. I started with 1 extract then went AG and never looked back. I made a LOT of mistakes but you learn from them. You can read everything you want to but the best knowledge is from trial and error.

This link is a bit old, there have been revisions in the printed editions.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I'd say try an extract kit or two so you don't have to buy to much equipment.

My sentiments exactly, then you can build from there. I have copies of How To Brew and Designing Great Beers that I refer to often.

Keep the first few recipes simple. Focus on Sanitation & good fermentation practices. Aside from the basic equipment, I would suggest building some sort of Fermentation Chamber & getting a Stir Plate.

Check out your local brew shop. I know the one here occasionally does classes. Some community colleges have homebrew classes also.

Making beer is actually really simple. Hell it's been done since the beginning of mankind. Learning how it all works together is the hard part.

Back