Where have all the great deals on Cornys gone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIK, there's no diff-- except subtle overall dimension diffs. If you want you can get ball lock posts (w/ the correct threading per keg, though) but that would defeat the price advantage. That's a great price. Might have considered if I hadn't gotten this deal.

Good deal indeed. Pity I missed that four pack of ball locks.

I like that their $29 kegs are at least pressure tested, if not reconditioned. Only for me the problem is the shipping to California, works out to be $11 per keg. So ends up at $40 a keg. I can get 'em for that at the LHBS, and Morebeer's got a four pack of kegs for $115.95 with free shipping.

Macy's does have good stuff, and I would shop there for everything if I could afford it same with you guys... I mean, you're a big brand, so you're probably going to get the perks that go with buying from a big brand.

For the prices, I'd say your grain is more expensive, shipping is more expensive, your yeast is more expensive and you guys charge a fee to crush.

Sure, some of our grains are a bit more than some other shops by about $0.10 or so, but we are also cheaper than some other shops as well by the same margins. When you said horribly overpriced, I was worried we has some huge glaring errors in pricing :) But thanks for letting me know, it's always good to hear what other people think about our pricing and policies.

I just received my order of 4 ball locks from www.homebrewing.org today. In all, they came out to $28.48 each. I'll post on their condition when I get home and test them out. I see now, they only offer the 4 pack in pin lock style but it is on sale for $70

edit: all 4 kegs were holding pressure. Got 2 greens, a blue and a black. I'm happy.

I bought one of these, I'll let you know how it turns out. A single keg cost $34 including shipping, not bad really esp. since there are no lhb stores in my area.

Is there any huge advantage of the reconditioned keg vs the cleaned, other than replaced O-Rings?

Thats what I was figuring, I doubt those parts are new, the listing for the cleaned kegs doesnt specify that they are pressure tested, but they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. The ball locks say that the disconnects are new (replaced out of pin locks). Considering the price difference is close to 7 bucks, I would think it would be best to get the cleaned ones and just order a set of new O-Rings. Anyone else think differently?

I can't speak for every place that sells kegs, but as far as I know, a reconditioned keg will have been cleaned out, o-rings replaced, and repressurized with CO2. So if if there's a jankey poppet or relief valve, they spot it and (assumedly) deal with it. If it's a cleaned keg, I'm guessing they just rinse out the syrup with some hot PBW or the like, then put the lid back on.

If they're saying 100% satisfaction guarantee, then I'm guessing they're pressure tested. Otherwise, the listing would say something along the lines of "sold as-is" like unreconditioned kegs usually are.

If they're saying 100% satisfaction guarantee, then I'm guessing they're pressure tested. Otherwise, the listing would say something along the lines of "sold as-is" like unreconditioned kegs usually are.

I agree, even with old o-rings, if you put enough pressure in them, they'll seal. If it was me, I'd go with the cheaper ones and replace the o-rings myself. You could buy the dip tube and QD post o-rings for cheap money. I bought a pack of 10 of each for about $2.50 at Lowes. The lid o-ring is a little more, and you can't buy them at Lowes, but still cheaper than buying a "reconditioned" keg.

thanks guys. I'm debating whether to go with 2 or 4. Similarly priced even with shipping,i think I'm good with two, but don't want to be left out when 'all the cornies in the world are gone' like everyone keeps saying...

How many kegs do you think is too many? As of this week, I now have 20 ball locks and a 3 gal (but it's a yeast brink/harvester).

Thinking that might be overkill. I do 15 gal batches and brew every other weekend (eventually). Have a 5 tap kegerator w/ 1 as a seltzer tap.

Any comments? There was a thread about this a while back but I can't find it.

EDIT: Maybe I should change me name to HornyCorny.:D:D

How many kegs do you think is too many?...

There is no such thing at too many. Eventually, you'll want more, and if there aren't anymore available, then you'll be SOL.

... I do 15 gal batches and brew every other weekend (eventually). ...

I'd like to be able to do 10 gal batches every other week, but fermentation temp control is my only issue. Eventually, I'll be able to do that.

Any comments? ...

EDIT: Maybe I should change me name to HornyCorny.:D:D

My only comment to that is that you'll need to change your avatar too. Maybe have a couple cornies humping each other?

My only comment to that is that you'll need to change your avatar too. Maybe have a couple cornies humping each other?

I don't ferment in them like I do in a Sanke, so it's not thematically correct. My name is supposed to denote yeast sex in a Sanke. My Avatar is referring to my Brewhouse (Brewmation) and me being Brew Mater- also a joke.

Yes I have a Corny sense of humor, if this sentence is any gauge:D.

Party on Wayne.

If I sell some at some point, I'll probably make my money back at least.

I'm certainly not rich either, just motivated (to be poor maybe, but motivated nonetheless).

I've got 10 for beer, with another holding 5 gallons of starsan. With a 5 tap kegerator, I thought that'd be enough, but I'm brewing faster than I can drink (not too many local friends, and SWMBO leans towards margaritas as opposed to beer!) and now have my pipeline clogged. I think in the next few weeks I'll have to score another four pack, and that'll be it - storing the damn things is hard!

I don't ferment in them like I do in a Sanke, so it's not thematically correct. My name is supposed to denote yeast sex in a Sanke. My Avatar is referring to my Brewhouse (Brewmation) and me being Brew Mater- also a joke.

Yes I have a Corny sense of humor, if this sentence is any gauge:D.

Party on Wayne.

Now I got ya, I thought it was you that had a thing for Sankes though...:drunk:

I'm certainly not rich either, just motivated (to be poor maybe, but motivated nonetheless).

Sounds like we have the same motivation, to be poor. I work a part time job just to pay for my addiction. Free time consists of tinkering on my rig, brewing on my rig (when not too hot), and buying stuff. The buying stuff goes with the tinkering and brewing too.:D

Bumping an older post because keg connection has "B" grade ball locks for $20.

Cornelius Keg (or Firestone), 5 Gallon, Ball Lock "B-GRADE" (See Description)

kege.jpg

Back