Where does that distinct malty date/grape flavor come from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterBrews

Reaction score
Hi.

New guy here who's been lurking for too long without posting.

I want to capture that intense sweet dark fruit quality that many dark Belgian ales have, but I can't seem to figure it out. My research so far seems to indicate that it would come from a moderate/heavy use of c120 or special B. For some examples, this date fruit aroma and flavor is quite evident in Maredsous 8 and St. Bernardus abt 12. So, is it the Belgian yeast?

But, I noticed this in a Bischoff Doppelbock as well. It had a slightly different ester profile but that strong date fruit aroma and sweetness were there.

Would a Belgian Strong Ale yeast coupled with a generous addition of c120 get me there?

Any suggestions on how do to get the heavier aroma but lighten the actual sweetness? Maredsous and others can get a bit cloying for me.

Thank you,

Peter

p.s. this board is amazing

Most Belgian brewers get it from use of Dark Candi Sugars only according to BLAM. But Special B can get you there as well. I prefer a combination of both to get me that figgy/date flavor.

dark crystal or dark candi sugar as stated above.....however i think the key to bringing those flavors out is the attenuation of the belgian yeast strains. I get a lot of this flavor from my brews that use specialb and caramunich but finish super dry with the sugar and belgian yeast. thats my two cents....

Most Belgian brewers get it from use of Dark Candi Sugars only according to BLAM. But Special B can get you there as well. I prefer a combination of both to get me that figgy/date flavor.

+1 I also get more of that flavor using the dark syrups instead of the sugars.

Back