Where do you go... I want to know!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
Where do you go for great beers on draft?
I personally do not have many in mind except a designated microbrewery.

Discuss.

Enlighten.

:mug:

Sierra Nevada (obligatory of course)
The Graduate (chico college bar, about 100 beers on tap)

Henry's 12th Street Tavern - Portland, OR
I can't say enough good things about this place, only that it's a great place with over 100 beers on tap AND a fantastic, separated dining area. Really cool place, and a must visit if you go through Portland.

Lost Coast Brewing Co. - Eureka, CA (great old building, plus pool in the back)
North Coast Brewing Co. - Ft. Bragg, CA (just get the sampler)
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - Booneville, CA (bring your discs, they have a nice short course)

Sierra Nevada (obligatory of course)
The Graduate (chico college bar, about 100 beers on tap)

Henry's 12th Street Tavern - Portland, OR
I can't say enough good things about this place, only that it's a great place with over 100 beers on tap AND a fantastic, separated dining area. Really cool place, and a must visit if you go through Portland.

Lost Coast Brewing Co. - Eureka, CA (great old building, plus pool in the back)
North Coast Brewing Co. - Ft. Bragg, CA (just get the sampler)
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - Booneville, CA (bring your discs, they have a nice short course)

Great Minds:mug:

I am not awar of any good places in my immediate vicinity here in ohio :(

Closest I know of would be 45 minute drive or more to haufbrauhaus in newport KY or about 1-1.5 hour drive to columbus OH to a few good places there like barleys and surly girl..... really lotsa good places in columbus but I dont get to visit very often...

Other then that I have heard there are some in the centerville/morain area but have never found them

Flying Saucer, started TX, spread as far as Memphis that I know of. Be careful. Fins a knowledgeable waiter and listen carefully. They tend to have about 120 kegs tapped, some of which are fresher than others.

After that, come on over to my place if EdWort or Biermuncher won't have you, my keezer build is racing my pipeline.

RDWHAHB.

I am not awar of any good places in my immediate vicinity here in ohio :(

Closest I know of would be 45 minute drive or more to haufbrauhaus in newport KY or about 1-1.5 hour drive to columbus OH to a few good places there like barleys and surly girl..... really lotsa good places in columbus but I dont get to visit very often...

Other then that I have heard there are some in the centerville/morain area but have never found them

Hoffbrauhaus is about a 15 minute drive for me but, I've only been there once. Excellent beer, I just don't like dealing with the crowds. There is another place on riverboat row in Newport called the beer sellar that I'd like to check out. They are supposed to have like 60 beers on tap. Welcome to the Beer Sellar - Newport, Kentucky

In the end, home is where the beer is.

Here from west/central New Jersey:

First would be The Sergeantsville Inn. They usually have something decent on tap. Food in the bar is good quality and resonably priced, but best of all, it's within walking distance. It's just too easy to not pass up on a Friday night.

Another would be Triumph Brewery in Lambertville. It's the closest brewpub. The food and beer are good, but I've never been dazzeled by the beer there. Good, just not great. Still worth the trip.

If we want to drive, it's Iron Hill in Lancaster PA. If you hit them at the right time in their brewing cycle, they have some wonderful beers. Alway good, but sometime fantastic. We don't go here often, but I alway look forward to it.

And I have to mention The Ship Inn, NJ's first brewpub. They have a cask-conditioned hand pumped Best Bitter that is definitly worth the trip alone. Some of the other beers can be hit or miss, but they're worth checking out. We make it a monthly habit.

If we want to drive, it's Iron Hill in Lancaster PA. If you hit them at the right time in their brewing cycle, they have some wonderful beers. Alway good, but sometime fantastic. We don't go here often, but I alway look forward to it.

And you will let me and Firebrewer know when you are there next. Can't beat the AHA 20% discount. :mug:

Flying Saucer, started TX, spread as far as Memphis that I know of. Be careful. Fins a knowledgeable waiter and listen carefully. They tend to have about 120 kegs tapped, some of which are fresher than others.

RDWHAHB.

I've been to the Flying Saucer in Kansas City, MO while on travel. Usually about 200 total beers and around 120 tapped also. One nice part is when I get a Belgium beer, they usually also have the appropriate matching glassware. I'd rather risk a chance of having the occasional non-fresh beer as opposed to BMC and a SA seasonal. Some of the waitresses in KC were young, so you need to hunt for the knowledge ones.

As for where I'd like to go? A belgium trappist tour.....

I've been to both fylign saucers in Memphis when i lived there. Good selection...but EXPENSIVE! $13 for a 22 of Stone IPA...no thank you.

But I'm spoiled, I have at least 5-10 great beer spots withing a 2 mile radius of my house. If your in San Diego, check out Hamiltons Tavern...by far the best. 20+ taps hundredds of bottles, including Trappist rochefort 10 most of teh time. Great prices, 1-2 casks per week, and free food during Charger games! Best part, if you order a bud light (they only have bottles, and only because there is a very old loyal customer who only drinks it), they ring the bell to anounce it and give you the bottle (they won't open it for you though).

Besides going to the basement for a homebrew on tap I usually think of what place has a happy hour going on right then.

Tuesdays are great at Madison's on SE Madison (clever, huh?) when they have $2 pints. They rotate through a lot, but last time they had Ninkasi, HUB, Fearless, Widmer, and others. I don't know a better deal than a $2 pint of Tricerahops.

EastBurn on East Burnside (oh man, Portlanders are so original) also has $2 Tuesdays. I got a pint of Russian River Salvation and that was definitely worth more than the $2 price tag.

Other than that, I usually go straight to the brewery like Hopworks or Bridgeport.

For a big city bar, you can't do better than The Map Room at Armitage & Hoyne on the North end of Chicago. Wonderful place, and even the crowds are the "good" kind. You will find a beer you like. Parking is usually possible, but if you want to take the Blue Line (El) from downtown, get off at either Damen and walk North to Armitage or Western and walk East to Hoyne.

Smaller burg watering hole, gotta be loyal and say The Blind Pig Co. 120 N. Walnut in Champaign, IL. Twenty-six taps, a cask pump, and maybe 100 - 150 bottles. You'll enjoy downtown Champaign as it has matured into its present form, and you will NOT meet the college BMC swilling /puking crowd at The Pig, even though the U of I is parked about a half-mile East. They price the draft high enough to keep out the riffraff.

My basement is great- for racking, bottling, and storage- not so great for drinking. My front porch at this time of year is another matter......

luckily my favorite place for draft microbrews happens to also be my LHBS, Ithaca Beer company, out of ithaca ny, they have some great award winning beers, ranging from one of THE hoppiest IPA's out there all the way to a smoked porter, I keep telling them they need to make a stout, but they dont listen, they also just came out with partly sunny ( an inside joke if your from central ny) a wonderfull belgain style white beer.

I go to the Tap and Mallet, a dedicated beer bar right by me. 30 beers on tap with a lot of quick rotation, a whole lot more available bottled, and a heavy focus on craft brews and big beers. Environment is nice, food is above average, though the wallet does suffer at the end of the evening. :)

Another would be Triumph Brewery in Lambertville. It's the closest brewpub. The food and beer are good, but I've never been dazzeled by the beer there. Good, just not great. Still worth the trip.

I didn't know we annexed Lambertville :)

My local locals:
Stephanies
Mosquito Grille
Blue Dog
Capones
Union Jacks
The Drafting Room
Iron Hill North Wales
..just about any hole in the wall around here now has DFH, Troges, Victory, Beamish, ect on tap
Then there's Phila w/ all it's beery goodness

We were in Vegas recently and went to Ellis Island brew pub. It had some pretty good beer, plus it was $1.50 for a pint. Well worth checking out. Also, the Freakin' Frog. I think they have over 100 beers on tap. These places are not for family dining, but their fine for adults - Dwain

There are few choices here in Newark, CA.

There is a BJ's just a few blocks away. It's not bad. The bartenders are good, but the service is hit and miss on the food side.

Mission Pub & Pizza is a short drive that is worth it. Very good Pizza and a changing beer selection.

Jack's Brewing Company in Fremont is a waste of good brewing equipment.

I usually find my way over to the Hopyard if I am looking for good food and good beers. The service is great and they support my Brewclub -- so I support them when I can.

Both in Springfield, Missouri.

Fox and Hound---Bass and Harp on tap!!!!!!!!
Springfield Brewing Company-----Mr. Wizard from BYO is the Master Brewer, Ashton Lewis.

MBC Pub

But I am hanging out back with brewcrew about 90% of the time I'm there.

Went to their appreciation party last October. Some very good beer and had a very good time (at least until morning...) Their marketing lady is pretty hot too. Not to mention a few of the wait staff.

I'd like to be able to post my favorite, but it's mostly ANY brewpub I am at at the time. I don't have one close to me, and there are a few that I need to get to.

I do like:

Northern Michigan Brewery::Kegs For Sale::Right Brain Brewery

and

Founders Brewing

And I've heard Hopcat has something like 48 taps?? Plenty of regional beers and they have started brewing their own I think too.

Back