Where do you go... I want to know!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not awar of any good places in my immediate vicinity here in ohio :(

Closest I know of would be 45 minute drive or more to haufbrauhaus in newport KY or about 1-1.5 hour drive to columbus OH to a few good places there like barleys and surly girl..... really lotsa good places in columbus but I dont get to visit very often...

Other then that I have heard there are some in the centerville/morain area but have never found them

Yep, I used to live in Kettering. Once the Thirsty Dog shutdown, there has been little to choose from :( . There is also The BarreHouse and a new one? - Watson Brothers Brewhouse in Blue Ash.

Gotta luv Bluegrass Brewing Co here in Louisville. One of their brewpubs is about 5 yards from the office :) and Brownings.

Might be that I'm secretly ashamed of being from New Jersey, but live close enough to the Delaware River that I associate with thing Pennsylvanian like a resident.

No Hope and Lambertville are more or less the same town separated by a river anymore. No shame in being from NJ, just remember you have to pay your tolls coming in ;)

In Chapel Hill, NC skip "Top of the Hill" unless you need a mixed drink or a good meal and proceed west on Frankilin Street about 5 blocks to "The Carolina Brewery". I suggest the "Shrimp and Grits" with whatever beer style strikes your fancy. Recently they switched up the recipe and are serving more (quite spicy) Andouille sausage on the plate. If they ever make a Roggen it will go great with the summer 2008 shrimp and grits.

In Seattle I always seem to end up at "The Uber" around I wanna say 125th to 140th north of downtown and west of the 5. It's the bottles not the taps there, but every bartender I met in there was a beer geek of the first order. And the selection is crazy. Do McMennabeer for lunch.

In Fairbanks, AK head north about 8 miles to the community of Fox, AK and the "most Northern Brewery in the USA," Silver Gulch Brewing Co. Start with the amber and work your way up the OG scale from there. The lager isn't all that and I am working on the brewmaster about his freaking pale ale, I work with his aunt. The porter kicks butt, the barley wine is aging very well, the food is quite good at the brewpub. They used to have Lieffeman's Framboise on tap...switched to Lindemans.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=the+viking+tavern+spokane+wa&aq=0&oq=The+Viking+Tavern%2C+Spokane"]The Viking Tavern[/ame]

and my house

Here from west/central New Jersey:

First would be The Sergeantsville Inn. They usually have something decent on tap. Food in the bar is good quality and resonably priced, but best of all, it's within walking distance. It's just too easy to not pass up on a Friday night.

Another would be Triumph Brewery in Lambertville. It's the closest brewpub. The food and beer are good, but I've never been dazzeled by the beer there. Good, just not great. Still worth the trip.

If we want to drive, it's Iron Hill in Lancaster PA. If you hit them at the right time in their brewing cycle, they have some wonderful beers. Alway good, but sometime fantastic. We don't go here often, but I alway look forward to it.

And I have to mention The Ship Inn, NJ's first brewpub. They have a cask-conditioned hand pumped Best Bitter that is definitly worth the trip alone. Some of the other beers can be hit or miss, but they're worth checking out. We make it a monthly habit.

Thanks for the tips. I've been wondering where the good brew pubs are around my parents' house in Clinton, NJ. I knew about The Ship Inn but didn't have their Best Bitter when I went there last. I will have to make a trip there again.

Im in Providence, RI right now and I go to the following:

The Wild Colonial: Its the local pub (a proper looking pub in the basement of a building so it has nice stone walls and always stays cool) for mostly college students and some business people. Most of the people in there are architecture students from RISD (myself included) since the two places are pretty much next door to each other. About 8 taps but a decent selection of bottles and they dont waste tap space on anything BMC. Plus they have the best freaking nachos around, with vegetarian chili I might add which for me is a big :mug:. Plus they stay open late (close around 1 or 2am)

Wickenden Pub: 13 taps and 99 bottles. Decent place, a little small and crowded but a good selection and decent prices. Raffle night is fun there, but they close at midnight even on fridays which is not good. Just means taking a short walk to Wild Colonial. :)

Doherty's East Ave located in Pawtucket. I havent been there yet but it has good reviews on BeerAdvocate. They also have hand pumped real ales which I want to try.

Boston: Sunset Grill and Tap: Pretty well known place. I've been there once. Its a great place. Good food, good beer, lots of selection. Even with 113 taps they make sure that kegs are not tapped for longer than 13 days so you always get fresh beer. It's also busy enough that they have a high rate of turnover on most of their beer. Highly recommended if you're in Boston.

Lucky Lab is my second office. It is 5 blocks away. There beer board isn't this pretty anymore, though:

5467_RAW

I've also been going to Deschutes a lot lately because they have a lot of cool stuff that you can only get at the pub. Yesterday I have some cask Extra Pale and cask Bachelor Bitter there.

When I'm out and about (and especially after a stop at LHBS) I like to pop in to Green Dragon or Belmont Station. They both have a quickly rotating selection of rare beers.

Back