Where did you get your bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zevans08

Reaction score
Just started home brewing and I'm already eager to start with all grain. BIAB is looking like a great option for me; just need a bag and I should have all the equipment I need.

What bag dows everyone use? I found one on Amazon, fairly cheap that looks decent

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D53H3W6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cmLMCbXXAEC01

I've also read about this one that seems very well made, just a bit pricer than amazon.

https://www.brewinabag.com/products/the-brew-bag-for-kettles

So what's everyone using??

I use a Wilser bag, and recommend it. A drawstring top eliminates the need to use clips to hold it to the kettle. Straps are just not needed for a BIAB bag in my opinion. They're certainly not needed for attaching the bag to an overhead hoist. The best way to do that is with a small loop of cord, prusik hitched around the bag just above the grain.

The weave of the fabric on the bag in your Amazon link looks a bit coarse (though it's hard to tell in the photo), so I would approach that one with caution.

2wzw6w.jpg

I got my bag before I realized how much Wilser contributed the forum...or I would have got one from him and plan to get my next one from him.

I got my bag (and pulley) from brewinabag.com. They did not really have one that fit my fairly wide 10 gal pot, so the one I got from them is rather tall (but at the time I was not sure if I would stick with BIAB so I figured the taller bag would fit into my lauter tun). It is a good quality bag with a very fine mesh. I have a second bag for my 5 gal pot that I picked up at my LHBS. It is not nearly as fine of a mesh as the other bag, but seems to produce fine beers. I actually have a 3rd bag that I purchased years ago just to line my mash tun. I tried it for BIAB once but it is not wide enough for my 5 gal pot, and is a pain since it does not have loops or a drawstring.

I tried the amazon bag and mine ripped after the first or second brew when squeezing the grain. I've since stopped squeezing and only seem to have lost a cup or two in comparison. I'm also a fan of wilser due to the high quality and great customer service.

Am new to BIAB. Got mine from brewinabag. Have done 4 batches so far and it works great. Ratchet pulley might be a good idea. I just rigged a pulley and a cleat from Home Depot which seems to be fine for 5g batches but even that gets heavy.

got mine from brewinabag.com . Over 60 batches of 5G each in over 3 years, also got a pair of pvc gloves with it and a pulley. Wouldn’t want to make beer without them.

I made my own. That kind of goes along with HOMEbrewing concept. I made it from a shear curtain I got at the thrift store for a few dollars and some fabric tape I bought at the craft store for a couple dollars. It is a nice sturdy bag custom made for my pot. Worth the trouble if you know your way around a sewing machine or know someone who does. Instructions here:
https://lukasholenweg.com/2017/02/15/make-the-best-biab-bag/
49d915dc-6a0a-4af4-893b-20db7aae5052-jpeg.621114

I made my own. That kind of goes along with HOMEbrewing concept. I made it from a shear curtain I got at the thrift store for a few dollars and some fabric tape I bought at the craft store for a couple dollars. It is a nice sturdy bag custom made for my pot. Worth the trouble if you know your way around a sewing machine or know someone who does. Instructions here:
https://lukasholenweg.com/2017/02/15/make-the-best-biab-bag/
49d915dc-6a0a-4af4-893b-20db7aae5052-jpeg.621114

I felt the same way but my time and what wilser saved me in time I feel was worth it. No regrets.

I felt the same way but my time and what wilser saved me in time I feel was worth it. No regrets.
I started out by making a bag myself and just today I received my wilser bag from wilserbrewer in the mail. While my homemade bag works, it didn't fit my kettle too well and had no way of attaching to a pulley. It left me sitting it in a second bucket or sitting in a strainer over the kettle. I haven't brewed with the new bag yet but did check the fit, perfect by the way, in my kettle. I intended to attach a photo but the file is too large. Once I brew with it I'll find a way to update with a photo and my thoughts.

Cheers
Tony

... had no way of attaching to a pulley...

Any bag can be attached to a pulley by using a loop of small diameter cord to make a prusik hitch around the fabric, just above the grains. This is actually the preferred way.

You're going to love your Wilser bag.

Any bag can be attached to a pulley by using a loop of small diameter cord to make a prusik hitch around the fabric, just above the grains. This is actually the preferred way.

You're going to love your Wilser bag.
Appreciate the tip on the prusik hitch, I've never heard of it but at least my old bag doesn't have to waste away now. [emoji106]

I have a reusable bag that I bought from a local homebrew shop https://amwinesupplies.com/ that is probably more suited for replacing a throw-away muslin bag for specialty grains. It won't wrap around the outside of my kettle, but I don't see that as a problem. If I do partial mash, it can definitely hold up to 3 lbs by my estimate, and it's wide enough to stir the grains around with a spoon. I think I paid around $7-8 for it.

Finally got a brew in with the new wilser bag. The fit was excellent and since I purchased the grandslam package I got hop socks and a pulley as well. You can see the bag suspended using the pulley below. The only issue I had was not drawing the back closed at first when I attached it to the pulley so it dropped a bit but not the equipments fault. This was a märzen and I expect it will turn out great. I wound up with clear wort in the fermenter after whirlpool, for the cold break, and hit it with some 02 and pitched WYeast 2206. If you're in the market for a brew bag, I'd give serious consideration to wilserbrewers product.
IMG_20190616_112348.jpeg

I had a wilser and a brewinabag.com and my wilser melted. Nylon it is!

Both bags are polyester...
Polyester melting point 482f
Nylon melting point 515f

If your bag is seeing these temps and melting, as said above you are doing it wrong...

Nylon slightly more heat resistant, but I feel polyester is a better choice.

@wilserbrewer I've been looking on your website to buy replacement bags for my High Gravity system. I like your grand slam package with the larger 150 pound capacity ratchet pulley. My kettle has a 5500 ultra low watt density heating element in it. I was wondering if there are any concerns with your bags coming in direct contact with the heating element during the mash. The reason I ask is I would like to get rid of the stainless steel basket that came with the system and just use your grain bag instead.

ebiab-sml.jpg

@wilserbrewer I was wondering if there are any concerns with your bags coming in direct contact with the heating element during the mash. ]

Results are mixed, some have success, others not so much.

If you have wort flow at the element your mash will likely not scorch.

I believe Scorching occurs when the mash is stagnant and packed around the element.

The wort locally boils away adjacent to the element and temps sky rocket and scorching occurs. The wort needs to flow, or you need to stir.

Perhaps best option is a Brewhardware BIAB false bottom and a BIAB bag.

I like the shape of these Wisler bags. I didn't know these existed until now and bought mine on Amazon which has a flat bottom versus the Wilser curved bottom. I bet the curved bottom drains much better than the square bottom I have.

Results are mixed, some have success, others not so much.

If you have wort flow at the element your mash will likely not scorch.

I believe Scorching occurs when the mash is stagnant and packed around the element.

The wort locally boils away adjacent to the element and temps sky rocket and scorching occurs. The wort needs to flow, or you need to stir.

Perhaps best option is a Brewhardware BIAB false bottom and a BIAB bag.
@wilserbrewer I recirculate throughout the mash process, and I like the idea of a false bottom to keep the bag from touching the element. Thank you for your reply, I will follow up and let you know.

Back