Where did all these hops come from? (and week 1 carb)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
The odyssey of my first batch continues. Tasted my Belgian wit after 7 days to get a baseline read of how it would develop. I expected it to be flat but it actually had surprising carbonation. I would say it was lightly carbed but there was enough to have significant bubbles through the end of a leisurely sipped glass. It sat at 66-69 degrees after 4 weeks in primary. Earlier than I anticipated but I assume it's ok. At some point should I start worrying about bombs?

What I'm not happy about is a high level of hoppy bitterness. I'm not getting much malt, almost no yeast and absolutely no coriander, cumin or orange peel. It's supposed to be 20 IBU and while I cant speak to that specifically I know it is much bitterer than any wheat beer I've ever had. Assuming they packed the kit correctly, is there anything I might have done to mess up the process?

What was your SG and FG readings?

Edit: And what exactly did you bottle with/amounts?

My first few kits had a bitter aftertaste that I now know was caused by too high a fermentation temp imparting fusel alcohols and other harsh tastes to it. The air temp in your fermentation room needs to be at 58-62F for the first few days of active fermentation if you want smooth tasting beer. If you ferment to high extra time in the bottles will mellow it out a bit. There is also the chance that oxidation damage happened at some point during your process. Give it 4 weeks in the bottle and 1 week in the fridge before deciding how this batch turned out.

I'll never achieve 58-62. The primary is wedged into a tight space that leaves no room for a swamp cooler regardless of what some guys insist must be possible. I guess I need to use yeast that works ok in the high 60s.

Not all ale yeast can ferment below 60F. A few do,but not all. 64-69F is a good range for the average ale yeast. And it sounds like your beer is just too young. Give it time.

Remember that the beer will get 6-8 degrees warmer than the air temperature for the first several days of active fermentation. I learned quickly that this was causing my bitter tasting brews when I started!

Hops Mellow with time. I brewed a beer with 1 oz of coriander and there was no coriander flavor at first. In 2 months it was very pronounced. Maybe someone with more experience in with coriander can speak let us know if that the norm but time will help a great deal.

If you are using a belgian yeast strain, you should be ok. As long as it was at or below 68 for the first day, then you shouldnt get off flavors from fusel alcohols, and get some of the fruity esters your looking for and some of the spice.
Maybe doublecheck that you added the right hops at the right times? Either way, the bitterness should drop as it ages.
Good luck with it.

Back