Where Can I learn About commercial brewing??? Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanchmd

Reaction score
Howdy folks I've been home brewing all grain 5 gallon batches of my own recipes for years and a unique potential opportunity has arisen -- a local restaurant/brew pub 2 miles from my house was sold and the new owner has opened a restaurant but is doing NOTHING with the brewery!?! I'd love to go talk to the guy and ask if I can run a couple batches at my cost/risk, just asking that he give me a tap or two and if they sell great, if not, I keep my day job. But I know nothing of commercial brewing equipment. I don't even know the size of the system he has there other than it is in the smaller range compared to what I've seen. I know nothing of how to use the equipment and what adjustments I'd have to make scaling up from my 5 gallon recipes. I would very much appreciate references to resources where I can learn enough quick enough so I can go present my idea to the new owner without sounding like an idiot. Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks

What size is the brew house? Volume size will determine the cost. Have you brought the owner any of your homebrew? I would start there.

Do you know what make the brewhouse is? If so, perhaps contacting the company and explaining your situation....just a thought. I saw the thread title and was going to suggest Siebel (though I appreciate more comprehensive/longer training, if training at a school), but don't know of anything concentrating on simply running a brewhouse like this. Perhaps the company offers an operating manual? Sounds lame, just trying to find ways. Good luck, sounds interesting.

There's a huge protracted process involved with licensing a brewhouse. The new owner may not want to take that on wrt selling (or even giving away) anything produced therein, and there's likely something sketchy about using the system for just "home brewing"...

Cheers!

There's a huge protracted process involved with licensing a brewhouse. The new owner may not want to take that on wrt selling (or even giving away) anything produced therein, and there's likely something sketchy about using the system for just "home brewing"...

Cheers!

True 'dat. I, uh, would still rather enjoy just looking at shiny stainless big, uh, stockpots in my back 40.

There is a ton record keeping requirements that are enforced by the TTB. Daily records of operations, inventory, brewer’s reports (ect). There are heavy penalties for failure to maintain records to include fines and jail time for the owner. First thing based on what I know you cannot buy the ingredients and then sell the finished beer under his license. He would have to buy the ingredients to track them to be within the law. 27 CFR 25.292 Daily records of operations states each kind of material received and used in the production of beer and cereal beverage must be inventoried. What questions will the TTB ask when enough ingredients for two batches are used without any accounting data to show that the brewery purchased it? Now you could give him cash and no one would know but that won’t make it legal.

Brewing is inherently dangerous! What would happen to his business if a hose ruptured and sprayed you with near boiling wort? His insurance company would drop him like a bad habit. If he even has insurance. Slip and fall? Hurt your back humping sacks of grain. He didn't open a business to lose money. If he is smart he will want to protect his investment.

He’s not just going to tell you "no". He’s going to tell you "hell no!". I would.

Now, here’s what I would do. I’d setup a meeting with him. I would bring in my best beers and a lot of them. I would walk him through my brewing philosophies, hitting the highlights of ingredients and process with each beer we sampled. I would sell him on my beer. I'd show him I was very serious about my beer. I'd then ask him for a job as a brewer. Maybe he’s looking for a partner to take on the brewing side of the business. Open that dialog and see what happens.

Google is your friend. If there are homebrewing forums then there has to be Professional Brewing forums. I’d go run a quick search at www.probrewer.com. I’m sure this question or a very similar question has been asked over there 1000 times. I believe there is even a section on this very subject.

Thanks so much for all this. I guess I should've known nothing is that simple and easy. THis is great information. I'm a lawyer so I can figure out the legal aspects of it, and armed with the common sense above maybe I can get somewhere with him. Thanks very much!!

The legal aspects are important and may be the reason why he is not brewing already. Or there may be some investments that needs to be done.

And keep in mind that your most perfect brews may not resemble the taste and needs of an average customer of this place.

And then if you like the idea of professional day-to-day brewing, just go for it and see what happens!

I would be interested to hear how you proceed, as it could provide alternate paths for those looking to go pro a different way. Let us know how it goes!

Back