where can I get a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc904

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a 15.5 gal kegs. Where is the best place to find one. I asked a guy that works for an A-B distributor but he couldn't help me. He said to hit the salvage yards. Any suggestions? Thanks

Talk with the guys at the scrap yards asking if they'll give you a heads-up when 1/2 barrel kegs come in. Also check out Craigslist ads in your area and even ebay (there was a guy selling 1/2 bbl kegs there not too long ago)... You might be able to score the amount of kegs you need that way.

I scored a 13.3 gallon keg not that long ago. I also have a line on a 1/2 bbl keg that's looking for a new home. I'll probably pick up the 1/2 bbl keg so that I have it for when I'm ready to use it for future 10 gallon batches. The 13.3 could be either a fermenter, or a HLT...

IMO, you just need to hunt the 'normal' channels and be ready to jump onto the keg(s) when you find them. I figure that if I can land one, or two, more (after the one I'm about to get) I'll be ready for a 10 gallon setup. At least I'll have the kegs that can be converted into whatever they need to be.

BTW, what do you intend to use the keg for?? Just curious.

Ask around the beer/liquor joints. They may sell you one for the deposit cost. That's how I got 4. :)

I picked mine up from CraigsList. I have two sitting in the basement just waiting for some sort of use.

I was chit chatting with the home brew guy at the local liquor store about it. I asked him how to get my hands on some kegs. This was, of course, as i was paying for my 1/2 bbl of Dirty Bastard. He just told me not to return the keg. lol.

There seems to be a general consensus that keeping a keg and losing your deposit is a bad thing, though...adds bad juju to your brew, I guess.

After about a month of checking Craigslist everyday I found a Sanke keg in good condition for $25 yesterday.

All the sanke's I've found have been SS... If they're really old (old style) they could be aluminum. Otherwise, if they look like the current type, they're stainless...

Damnit, now I'm going to HAVE to get the 1/2 bbl keg I've been communicating with a guy about... It's cheap enough (not $25, but close enough). Since it's local, cash money, it's all good baby.

IMO, find kegs at prices you can stomach and don't think about it too much. Keep looking on the sites, and in stores, and you'll be rewarded with the kegs you want. It might take you a while to gather up how many you want/need, but you'll get there eventually. Just learn how to remove the valve from them and you're set (it's not that difficult)...

I waited one month for a keg to appear on craigslist. When I placed a 'keg wanted' ad on craigslist, i got three replies with pricing in 24 hours.

Call local breweries if you have any near you. I got 4 of them from the brewery for $10, each.

Brian

Are you talking small breweries or the big guys. We have a Miller site in Ft Worth, but when I called them, no joy. They said check the distributors. When I called the distributors, they said check the brewery...

IME, they're all stingy with their kegs these days. I tried a brew pub, no joy. Sam Adams (was recommended to them by the brew pub), no joy. I might try another couple of breweries in the area (smaller than Sam Adams, but bigger than the brew pub) to see what I get for results...

Of course, this is after scoring a 1/2 bbl keg today, off of an ad on Craigslist... I already pulled the valve, rinsed it out and have it sitting with PBW in it (put the valve/spear back in since it needs a cleaning too)... I'm probably going to get this one converted into a mash tun soon. Just need to get the contact info for someone that could be doing it. I want all the fittings welded at the keg. Even if they're threaded fittings on the keg, that I install the valves and such into. I figure I'm just one or two more kegs away from having a full 10 gallon ready rig. :rockin:

TheZer said:
I waited one month for a keg to appear on craigslist. When I placed a 'keg wanted' ad on craigslist, i got three replies with pricing in 24 hours.

+1

I recently put an ad up on craigslist for some ball locks and got about 10-12 calls from people trying to sell me 15.5 kegs for like 20 bucks

In the end, I finally settled on a lot of six pin locks for 40.00 :)

I got my kegs from the Red Hook brewery in Portsmouth NH. They were awesome. I had call a few smaller breweries and they didn't want to help.

I wasnt having any luck finding any online or around town, so one day while at one of the local liquor stores picking up bourbon and beer I mentioned it to one of the cashiers. She happened to be their Regional GM. She told me she didnt think there would be an issue, but she would feel better checking with the owners. Course they were on vacation so I had to wait a week. She called me back just like she said she would and said they were fine with it. In their eyes its all the same as "renting" one out to a college student. She said they never really expect to get them back. So I got 3 from them, 2 were almost perfect but the first was pretty beat up. But I was happy, I got all 3 for $90.

Well about a month ago a friend of mine was going to have a huge party, he really wanted to get a keg, and was originally going to get a pony. I told him that I'd split the cost with him and we could use my beat up keg as the deposit. So he took it in with him and they took it as a trade and we got a brand new keg. So now I have 3 awesome looking half kegs! And what makes it better? They are all Anheuser Busch kegs!

Back