Where are we, homebrewers vs. latest trends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never really understood the emphasis of hazy vs. clear beer. All the time on HBT I see people posting, "help: my beer is hazy". So what? Does it taste good? Are you creating a miller lite clone that you should be able to look through? Or are you upset that you think your Amber ale is hazy?

If hazy beers are a thing, good for those people who chase those things. I guess it's the little joys in life, the constant search.

I don't disagree with you on taste, but external aspects like appearance, aroma, and clarity are just as crucial in defining the true character of the beer. It takes true skill to master all aspects, something I feel all brewers should aspire to achieve. I'm not saying they should be read a book through it crystal clear, but some of these IPAs go the complete opposite trying to cloud the crap out of them. It's easy to brew a ****ty tasting & cloudy base beer and justify it through masking it by hopping the **** out of it and hiding behind the claim "that's the style bro". If that's the style, then I feel these NEIPAs are a regressed example of brewing, one that's harder to judge because its based off the opposite of what typically defines a good beer. Maybe I'm biased because I haven't really sampled many different types (haven't really felt the need based off what I've tried) but I don't see anything special with them.

Also I must say that I initially loved IPAs when I got into craft beers, but I've been worn out of them. It seems now any time I go to a stores section of craft brews 30%-50% of them are some kind of IPAs. The whole market is over saturated with them

Why are new styles a bad thing? I see a lot of hate towards NE IPA style just because they're different. Why is different bad? This "fad" of style has brought and is bringing new brewing concept's that are new and exciting. Whirl pooling techniques, whirl pooling at different temps, yeast and hop interaction, that perfect water profile to make the hops shine but feel soft on the tongue. To each their own, every body has their own taste but you have to see the positive too.

Forgot to mention this "oversaturation" of IPA's has brought along so many different hop varieties that ever body benefits from even if you don't like IPA's. Exciting times to be a home brewer right now I just don't see the downside.

Why are new styles a bad thing? I see a lot of hate towards NE IPA style just because they're different. Why is different bad? This "fad" of style has brought and is bringing new brewing concept's that are new and exciting. Whirl pooling techniques, whirl pooling at different temps, yeast and hop interaction, that perfect water profile to make the hops shine but feel soft on the tongue. To each their own, every body has their own taste but you have to see the positive too.

No, it's not becasue they're different. At least in my case, it's becasue I just don't like them.

No, it's not becasue they're different. At least in my case, it's becasue I just don't like them.

Yeah. I don't dislike them because they're different. I do because they seem to just be popular because they completely oversimplify the flavors that make beer.

Look at Tree House's beers. Their IPA descriptions mention almost nothing except for juicy fruity flavors... Except for Sap which is almost 100% Chinook and is just piney.

I really think the smoothness is almost all about water profile. Oats in the grist will only get you so far.

I find citrusy hop flavors really boring... They are unexpected to a person who doesn't understand hops (and the transformation of linalool and geraniol into the other compounds can be fascinating for scientists) but from my realm they are the easiest flavors to pick out in beer, and they get really tiring after a pint.

Understood. I didn't like them either in the start to be honest, being from California I thought nothing beats a West Coast style IPA! I've done a full 180 after being lucky enough to try some great examples right from the source when I was on a work trip in Boston. I've come to appreciate both the same way for what they are. I think both West Coast and NE style have their place in this ever growing craft beer scene.

Off topic: I just started listening to your guy's podcast. Good stuff! I listened to the sticky hands episode recently and Block 15 sounds like a must visit someday.

Yeah. I don't dislike them because they're different. I do because they seem to just be popular because they completely oversimplify the flavors that make beer.

Look at Tree House's beers. Their IPA descriptions mention almost nothing except for juicy fruity flavors... Except for Sap which is almost 100% Chinook and is just piney.

I really think the smoothness is almost all about water profile. Oats in the grist will only get you so far.

I find citrusy hop flavors really boring... They are unexpected to a person who doesn't understand hops (and the transformation of linalool and geraniol into the other compounds can be fascinating for scientists) but from my realm they are the easiest flavors to pick out in beer, and they get really tiring after a pint.

My review of 10 NEIPAs, many of them from Treehouse....https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/oh-say-can-you-see-through-your-beer

Understood. I didn't like them either in the start to be honest, being from California I thought nothing beats a West Coast style IPA! I've done a full 180 after being lucky enough to try some great examples right from the source when I was on a work trip in Boston. I've come to appreciate both the same way for what they are. I think both West Coast and NE style have their place in this ever growing craft beer scene.

Off topic: I just started listening to your guy's podcast. Good stuff! I listened to the sticky hands episode recently and Block 15 sounds like a must visit someday.

Glad you like the podcast! Here's my review of 10 NEIPAs...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/oh-say-can-you-see-through-your-beer

Thank you very much. I've struggled to find good reviews and descriptions of the beers... On Beeradvocate the reviews all seem to be from up the brewers ass (I mean like a sycophant, brown-noser in colloquial terms).

I have struggled to find any more objective reviews.

You're welcome! Objective is what I do, based on my own subjective tastes!

I will say after reading the reviews of those beers by Denny there's still not a single one that appeals to me to search out for... If someone hands me a can of one I'll happily try it but definitely not something I want to search out... Now I really DO want to search out Jack's Abby lagers, the Von Trapp lagers, I'd love to go to Suarez Brewing (I always think that should be in New Mexico or near El Paso... But that's probably because I'm so familiar with Juarez).

I am really excited about going to my first visit to PA to visit my family that just moved there, and I'd love to go to Yards in Philly... But there's nothing about the NE IPA's that seem appealing to me.

I will say after reading the reviews of those beers by Denny there's still not a single one that appeals to me to search out for... If someone hands me a can of one I'll happily try it but definitely not something I want to search out... Now I really DO want to search out Jack's Abby lagers, the Von Trapp lagers, I'd love to go to Suarez Brewing (I always think that should be in New Mexico or near El Paso... But that's probably because I'm so familiar with Juarez).

I am really excited about going to my first visit to PA to visit my family that just moved there, and I'd love to go to Yards in Philly... But there's nothing about the NE IPA's that seem appealing to me.

If you're in the Philly area, DO NOT MISS either Monk's Cafe or Victory Brewing in Downingtown.

Thanks everybody. It has been very interesting to read all your posts.

I guess the bottom line is that homebrewing should make you happy, if that means brewing again that solid recipe you've done a hundred times before or if you beleve it is time to make a locus beer, then so be it.

I understand how many craft breweries need to continuously attempt different things in order to keep up with and to keep the market moving. I guess us homebrewers do have full choice on what the destiny is.

In my post I was only thinking aloud. I am quite happy where my homebrewing sits compared to classic and new/innovative brews. I only brew 6-8 times a year and I want to make these count. The crazy stuff, I just shop for it and only if I come across something I say, damn, that was good, I could drink 5gal of this stuff, I may consider attempting the style myself.

This is such a great and contemporary hobby. Having the same people who write the books we read and feature in the podcasts we hear come out and engage in conversation is very unique. I like chemistry, but I know I will not get Mendeleev commenting on my post if I am disappointed with the table.

Great hobby, great forum. :tank:

Thanks again

IPAs are over rated. That's the problem. Just my opinion.
I have to agree, but the general public does not. I go into the store to get a sixer and over 50 percent of the craft brews are IPAs, with wheat beers making up a strong second.
But I guess that is god because we are fighting the watered down lite beer trend that has lasted way to long from the big breweries interested in profit over quality. I cannot understand how that they can get full price for Michelob ultra when it has so little barley in it.
That said, if you really want to see how good you can brew, brew a medium gravity american lager, you have nothing to hide behind and your chops had better be good because you are going to taste it if they are not

I've never really understood the emphasis of hazy vs. clear beer. All the time on HBT I see people posting, "help: my beer is hazy". So what? Does it taste good? Are you creating a miller lite clone that you should be able to look through? Or are you upset that you think your Amber ale is hazy?

If hazy beers are a thing, good for those people who chase those things. I guess it's the little joys in life, the constant search.

I think that there are 2 types of brewers, those who brew just good enough, and those who want to learn the entire realm of brewing. Those that want to brew a clear beer are just stepping up to the plate more than those who are satisfied with a hazy beer. Personally if I am served a hazy beer at a brew pup, I send it back. If I am going pay for a beer, the brewer needs to be able to make it clear. I can drink Tecate if I want cheap beer, and that is clear.

Back