Where am I headed with brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drookit

Reaction score
Just took inventory of the larger brewing items I have on hand.

I haven't even been brewing a year yet, gee, where did all this stuff come from? Dang craigslist.

2 - 5.whatever gal glass Carboys
1 - 5 gal plastic carboy
1 - 6 gal plastic carboy
1 - 6 gal ferm bucket
1 - 8 gal ferm bucket
2 - 4 gal ferm buckets
2 - MRB fermentors
1 32 qt pot
1 LP burner

1 keggle to be added soon

I've got 4 more extract kits to do, then I'm ready to move on. Experience wise, I should be ready. I think.

With what I have on hand, what am I moving on to?

BIAB?

AG in some other fashion?

Meaning is another LP burner and a mash tun in my future? I'd rather buy ingredients than more equipment, but if I have too.......

I'd like to keep it simple, but I'd like to move up to larger batches too.

Advice please?

Thank you,

Ken

Where you go depends on what you want to end up doing. Many brewers such as myself started out with a basic extract kit and a small pot and accumulated more and more equipment as time goes on. Many times people go from extract to partial mash to BIAB and/or all grain. It just depends on what you want to do and how involved in the hobby you want to become.

After the basic items (which you seem to have) are purchased, the best thing you can do to make better beer is to control the fermentation temperate of your beer. If you already do this, disregard.

After that, it's like any old hobby...how far you want to get into it is how much you'll be willing to buy/expand.

^^^ Good points on Fermentation temp control.

I am in a similar spot. Going to BIAB after I make one last session APA.

Get a fast accurate thermometer like a Thermapen if you do not already have one. Made getting my steep/mash temps correct much easier.

Our attached garage hovers in the perfect fermentation temperature range year round.

Because the "footprint" of my homebrewing is outgrowing the kitchen / attached garage, I'll be moving the operation out to my shop behind the house.

The temp in the shop ranges beyond what is ideal, so in anticipation of that, I've got a refrigerator for a fermentation chamber that will be setup prior to any brewing in the shop.

Back