Where all the ladies at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcycaulkins

Reaction score
Just to prove that there are more than 3 female brewers in the world, I'd like to give a shout out to all the ladies out there...

Oh, I know there are a lot here, that's why I'm hoping they speak up to prove to the fellas that we exist.

Hi Teri! I started brewing 5 or so years ago when I wandered into a small local grocer and homebrew shop, and thought "wow, I always wanted to try making beer". Eventually, I went back, bought an equipment kit and an ingredient kit and never looked back. I brewed exactly 2 batches from kits, then started "following" recipes (they're really just guidelines, right?) or making up my own. I took a 4 year hiatus when I was pregnant and after my daughter was born until I managed to find time to squeeze brewing back into my life. My husband enjoys drinking my beer, but otherwise stays out of my way (apparently, I turn into an ******* when I'm brewing) unless I enlist his help to move my brew kettle or bottle.

Besides the quite a few on here, I know a few in real life, a couple who are even BJCP judges.

Plus there's this thread... Women Who Brew.

We even have a mod who is one.....;)

In that thread they mentioned "Women of HBT Calendar"....now that's an idea! Haha! :)

My husband enjoys drinking my beer, but otherwise stays out of my way (apparently, I turn into an ******* when I'm brewing) unless I enlist his help to move my brew kettle or bottle.

Hahaha! My husband strongly dislikes beer, but his friends enjoy drinking "Teri's beer." He has learned to stay out of my way, too. Although he is quick to jump up and move/lift the heavy stuff when asked. I started some mead for him last month.

Do you have a favorite style? I've brewed 4 batches from kits (but only 1 was followed exactly, the others i changed the yeast or the hops or something), there's so much more flexibility in using recipes.

Hello fellow Brew Goddesses! I think I make #4 in the list :)

My name is Laurie and I love brewing. I started with brewing meads about 3 years ago. I went to beers because they didn't take nearly as long to get yummy. DH helps me with bottling but usually stays in his office on brew day :)

I know a couple personally, Rachael and Lorena. But I have seen a few at homebrew gatherings over the years. They are out there, but surprisingly aren't the more vocal (usually).

I second the female brewers pics thread. But I'm a crude pig.

I know a couple personally, Rachael and Lorena. But I have seen a few at homebrew gatherings over the years. They are out there, but surprisingly aren't the more vocal (usually).

I second the female brewers pics thread. But I'm a crude pig.

Well, Rachael is pretty quiet. Unless you meant me.................:D

I know a few women brewers, but most are men. That's fine, though. I really don't want to be thought of as a "woman brewer". I'm a brewer. My gender really doesn't impact my ability to brew, and I get resentful when people imply that it does.

I've been ignored in homebrew shops, but I've never been ignored by my brewing "idols"! I've talked to some of my favorite brewing geeks without them even noticing I'm female, because we're talking about brewing. That's the way I like it.

I'm a lady too! Admittedly I even sometimes follow the assumption that everyone on the internet, and esp. a homebrew forum is male until proven otherwise. Anyway, I'm still a bit of a newbie and so far have made a few batches of wine that I have yet to drink (darn those things have to age too long) and I've made several batches of cider which didn't stick around long at all. Since I live in a small apt. and am a poor grad student I haven't gotten into beer yet.

The chick in the bikini, when they pan down to the bottoms, wtf? ~1:10

I can't make out what they are actually singing at that point.

Outta sight
Amazin' ladies
Late night
Hard workin' ladies
Erudite
Brainy ladies
Hermaphrodite
Lady-man-ladies
Oh you sexy hermaphrodite lady-man-ladies
With your sexy lady bits
And your sexy man bits too
Even you must be in to you ooo ooo

I've been ignored in homebrew shops, but I've never been ignored by my brewing "idols"! I've talked to some of my favorite brewing geeks without them even noticing I'm female, because we're talking about brewing. That's the way I like it.

+1 You have the heart of a brewer for sure! It seems the ladies here are laid back and completely into the obsession...er...hobby :D

Well, Rachael is pretty quiet. Unless you meant me.................:D

I know a few women brewers, but most are men. That's fine, though. I really don't want to be thought of as a "woman brewer". I'm a brewer. My gender really doesn't impact my ability to brew, and I get resentful when people imply that it does.

:D

Yes, Rachael is kind of quiet.

And although you want to be known as just a brewer, it's pretty hard to ignore that fact that you are a woman. Just sayin'. :cross:

And don't forget all of the other hobbies you are into. Man I wish I was retired!

:D

Yes, Rachael is kind of quiet.

And although you want to be known as just a brewer, it's pretty hard to ignore that fact that you are a woman. Just sayin'. :cross:

And don't forget all of the other hobbies you are into. Man I wish I was retired!

Well, like many women, I have a ton of hobbies that are not traditionally "female" hobbies.

But when we're talking about brewing, I've noticed that guys are looking in my eyes, not other places. :D And John Palmer, for example, never said, "Oh, so you're a girl." We talked about formulating a recipe for a blonde dopplebock, Michigan Tech, and beer. Same as other brewers talk about.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go out with my bow and get into my deer blind.

(This retirement gig is pretty amazing, I'll admit).

Back at 'cha from Michigan!

... I know a few in real life...

...possilbly one of the few Revvy speaks of ;)

Just started my second batch yesterday - an Oatmeal Stout - hubby loves my new hobby - just imagine when he actually gets to try some!!

Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back