When you don't trim

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
3 year old Chinooks, West side:
5959922221_0a49bef685_z.jpg

East side:
5960478824_43fba8f6b0_z.jpg

There's about a billion cones, still have a billion of last years in the freezer from this one plant.:mug:

3 year old Chinooks, West side:
5959922221_0a49bef685_z.jpg

East side:
5960478824_43fba8f6b0_z.jpg

There's about a billion cones, still have a billion of last years in the freezer from this one plant.:mug:

Awesome, if you want to get rid of some you can send them my way i love Chinook lol! :mug:

WOW. That's a beast!

Hops definitely have a mind of their own. I've heard horror stories of people repeatedly trying to kill them when they get out of control or when they get out of the hobby!

Out of control hops should be classified as an oxymoron.

If these were Amarillo I'd be on the next flight to Pea Green. I haven't seen a direct from Austin to Pea Green but how could there not be?

Well done. :mug:

My Cascade plants look pathetic by comparison. Too damn hot at this latitude. I need to try planting them on the North side of the house where they are not getting baked all summer.

Wow! The research I did earlier this year (granted, not exhaustive) seemed to suggest that hops needed a lot of vertical room for growth in order to produce enough viable cones for use.

Those pictures make me thing my research turned up a bunch of BS... ;)

It certainly doesn't seem to retard the plants on this fence line, not sure what it is. My first year redvine plant is planted near these on the same fence line and are prolific to say the least.:mug: We probably won't need to buy hops anytime soon.

pretty awesome picture... been in CO for awhile now and can't say i've heard of Pea Green but i looked it up and i have been to Delta several times. hopefully the chinook on the east side of the hills in my yard has the same type of harvest.

Are most other peoples chinooks earlier than other varieties, the cones on this plant already have ample lupulin while my other varieties are barely flowering.

I picked my chinook today - Northern Brewer has a few cones, but is still a few weeks out. Zeus will be ready after that, also. My Chinooks were definitely ready before the others though.

Not to bring down the level of discourse here, but when they saw "When you don't trim," was anyone else expecting some seriously gnarly 70's-era pubes?

Fortunately, your glorious green clouds of hops are approximately infinitely better than that.

Not to bring down the level of discourse here, but when they saw "When you don't trim," was anyone else expecting some seriously gnarly 70's-era pubes?t.

Hey! Careful now! Some of us remember the 70's, and those women (who were not to be mistaken for prepubescent girls) quite fondly!

My second year Chinooks are definitely beating all of my other plants at growth and at cone production. The Goldings are in a distant second, though the Glaciers just blossomed with hundreds of buds.

Has anyone tried a fresh hop ale with Chinooks? I'm toying with that for a brew this weekend.

Back