When too add more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeonbigbar

Reaction score
Hi, I have decided to make a brew house Canadian light lager kit with wyeast 2112. I punched the pouch of yeast and let it sit for 8 hrs. ( first time with wyeast). The yeast pack got a little bigger but never did expand like the video clip. Anyways i looked at the website for wyeast and found that if the pack does not inflate the yeast is still good.
I pitched the yeast at a temp of 55 ' F. And set my room at 64F. It's been 24 hrs and no fermentation has happened. My specific gravity is the same as when I started 1.043. Wondering if i need to pitch new yeast. any thoughts.
Thanks mike.

Ok it's been 48 hrs and specific gravity is still 1.043. Same as when I started. This is my first time with wyeast. The yeast is 2112 California lager. Anybody use this yeast before. Wondering if it should have this lag time. Temp has been a steady 66F

What size batch did you brew? Did you only use one smack pack? Most lagers will use multiple yeast packs or need a starter to pitch the right amount of yeast. You can look up Mr. Malty and use the yeast calculator. You may have under pitched and the temps being cold for a lager it may have a long lag time up to 72 hours. If still nothing I would make a starter and repitch.

i second Gunrunner, pitching only one pack of lager yeast isn't ideal and you'll most likely have an extended lag time. i definitely recommend MrMalty.com's calc, he'll never steer you wrong.

What size batch did you brew? Did you only use one smack pack? Most lagers will use multiple yeast packs or need a starter to pitch the right amount of yeast. You can look up Mr. Malty and use the yeast calculator. You may have under pitched and the temps being cold for a lager it may have a long lag time up to 72 hours. If still nothing I would make a starter and repitch.
^this^
i second Gunrunner, pitching only one pack of lager yeast isn't ideal and you'll most likely have an extended lag time. i definitely recommend MrMalty.com's calc, he'll never steer you wrong.

and... ^this^

I haven't used that strain, but I've used the white labs version (San Francisco Lager) You really needed a lot more yeast for a lager, but if you're fermenting in the mid to upper 60's it might still take off. Give it 24 more hours. At that point if it hasn't changed you might want to re-pitch.

You really needed a lot more yeast for a lager, but if you're fermenting in the mid to upper 60's it might still take off. Give it 24 more hours. At that point if it hasn't changed you might want to re-pitch.

and ^this^ :mug:

if you re pitch, make a starter and pitch it at high krausen, just MO, but it'll get it going a lot faster which will be a good thing at that point.

Hi, I'm doing a 5 gallon batch. Wyeast labs said that the one smack pack will be enough. I emailed them and waiting for a response. I have a coopers dry yeast available. Would that be ok too pitch if nothing happens in the next 48 hrs.

I agree with pitching at high krausen. If you don't like putting a bunch of starter wort in your beer then you can do what I do..
I make my starter. Cold crash the night before. Take it out of the fridge and decant spent wort 6 hours before pitching. When it warms up to room temp I'll put about a cup of fresh wort on the yeast to "wake it up". It will start fermenting again and form a light krausen, and then after about an hour of this I'll pitch it all. This way I don't end up with 2L of sour, spent wort in my beer. With this method I usually get visible signs of fermentation within 4-8 hours..

Hi, I'm doing a 5 gallon batch. Wyeast labs said that the one smack pack will be enough. I emailed them and waiting for a response. I have a coopers dry yeast available. Would that be ok too pitch if nothing happens in the next 48 hrs.

Wyeast an White Labs say that a package is enough yeast for 5 gal up to ~1.06. but the current thinking and info about proper pitch rates say more like 5 gal of ~1.03 wort. i'm not saying that you can't make great brew with one pack of yeast, most of us have. and i'm definitely not implying that it's definitely the cause of your slow start. but in the future, consult Mr Malty and his calculator for proper pitch rates and starter size when using liquid yeasts. in your case, wait 72 hours from pitch and check the gravity, if it's the same as the OG, then go ahead and pitch new yeast.

I make my starter. Cold crash the night before. Take it out of the fridge and decant spent wort 6 hours before pitching.

i do jus this when pitching a fresh wort.... not the part i didn't quote, but it sounds like a good idea to get those guys going. which leads me to why i'd pitch an active, krausening starter if i had to repitch. (i've never gotten stuck, so knock on wood). having the yeast active and eating maltose is a great way to ensure they'll get going quickly, which i'd really want if i was repitching a stuck brew. :mug:

Back