When to pull Hops out of wort ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EROK

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a basic question but when do you pull your hops out of the wort, at 0 minutes, after cooling or when ?? I see a lot of people do a 2 min or 0 min hop addition but if you are pulling them out at 0 minutes, what's the point to doing that ?

I use nylon boiling bags and can pull the hops anytime, but would like to know what others do.

Do any of you leave them in and all goes into the fermentor ??

thanks - EROK

I leave my hops bag clipped to my kettle while draining the wort into the fermenter. My theory is that whatever liquid is trapped in there will dribble out once the wort level drops below the bag, and I'm all for getting as much liquid out of the kettle as possible, even if it is only 500mL. :)

YMMV

Are you using whole leaf or pellets? I use pellets and just throw them in (no hop bag needed). I dump the whole thing into primary and it will settle out with all of the sediment!

I just changed my boil routine on this last batch I bottled yesterday. 2.5G boil in 5G bk,added all 3lbs of the DME to do my hop additions. I did 1oz US Perle at 20 mins,.5oz Czech Saaz at 10 mins in hop sacks. At flame out,I drained them in a large strainer till done dripping. Then dumped a little hot water over them,thinking a little sparge would be better.
Took BK off heat,added the remaining .5oz Saaz,let steep with lid on kettle for 10mins. Remove/repeat steps with other 2 hop sacks. Then added the LME & stirred briskly 3-5mins,replace lid. Sanitize FV,etc while steeping 15 mins or so.
I like to remove them at flame out before doing flame out steeping additions. I thought if I didn't,they might get a little too bitter.
At two weeks & a couple of days,it was a bit bitter anyway. 3+ weeks,it seems a little too mellow. But it was green,so age & carbonation should even things out.

Breweries I've worked at in the UK steep for 30mins before cooling, so that's what I do. Sometimes I'll turn the boil off and leave for 5 mins before adding late addition.

The hops stay in the wort until the wort is in the fermenter. I often use 1, 0 or "whirlpool addition" hops, and they also stay in during the cooling.

Removing the bittering hops before the wort is cooled won't hurt it, of course. But there isn't any real reason to do it, either.

A couple of things that I've done in the past include just leaving everything in there and pouring the whole works into the fermenter; straining the wort to get out the big stuff; and straining only leaf hops to keep from plugging up my pump. I don't think it matters a whit, and hasn't changed the flavor of the beer.

If I"m making a lager, though, and chilling the wort to 48 degrees or so, I will be more vigilant in removing trub (hot break especially) and hence will usually strain out the spent hops as well.

I have a large mesh collander(spelling?) that I use to strain my wort after it has cooled. My proven and scientifically backed theory is that the collander(again spelling?) also helps with aerating the wort. The science behind my theory cannot be explained or proven it just is.

I leave them in while cooling. Instead of trying to pick up a 5 gallon kettle I use my racking cane to put the wort into the carboy. All that is left is the hop bags and a dirty pot.

-Stanley

I use bags as well. I just leave them in till wort is almost chilled then I remove them just get them out of the way.

I remove them as part of the cleanup routine when the wort is in the fermenters and the yeast is pitched and the blow-off tubes are installed... IOW, after all the 'brewing' stuff is done...

The 'only' part of clean-up I do before that is to empty and clean the mash tun while the wort is heating to boil....

Back