When To Pitch WLP099 into a higher Gravity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottSingleton

Reaction score
A lot of posts I've read through in the last few days talk about methods to successfully ferment down higher gravity beers.

My latest recipe is a big fat Rye IIPA that will clock in right around 1.105 or so if I hit my usual eff.

I've read that WLP099 behaves slightly different with beers of this gravity rather than higher ones like barley wines and 120 minute IPA clones, etc.

To avoid some of the harshness I've read about I want to try and start the fermentation off with some WyeYeast 1056 for two days (or until the gravity hits roughly 1.070) then pitch the WLP099 starter (2L or so) on top of that.

This seems to have worked well for others but I've never pitched two different yeasts into a batch before.

Does anyone have any suggestions on my method?

Will the 2L starter of WLP099 that's ramped up on a stirplate for 4 days be strong enough to out-compete the 1056?

Should I even be using 1056?

I wouldn't use wlp099 at all. 1.100 is a big beer but still something that a neutral tasting american ale strain (wyeast 1056, wlp001, nottingham) can handle. wlp099 throws some weird flavors so i only use it when absolutely necessary. knowing your recipe would help but i would personnally recommend buying 2 packets of nottingham dry yeast and throwing those in.

jester5120 said:
I wouldn't use wlp099 at all. 1.100 is a big beer but still something that a neutral tasting american ale strain (wyeast 1056, wlp001, nottingham) can handle. wlp099 throws some weird flavors so i only use it when absolutely necessary. knowing your recipe would help but i would personnally recommend buying 2 packets of nottingham dry yeast and throwing those in.

Thanks man! I have seven or eight pints of nottingham washed and in the fridge... It's my std yeast I use on all my regular IPAs. I keep that and PacMan in good quantities because of its limited availability. I was even planning on washing a primary of Nottingham (2nd generation) from a primary on thurs. evening and probably have enough stock to wash and reuse this whole cake in the Rye.

I haven't finalized the exact recipe yet as I am waiting on one of my buddies to finish collaborating.. But it's something like this:

14 lbs base 2-row
3 lbs rye
8oz crystal 40
4oz chocolate rye (trying to hit 14 SRM)
3 lbs corn sugar or rice solids (adjust to hit gravity)

Latest posts

Back