When to lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkBar

Reaction score
I made 11 gallons of an Oktoberfest using extract. Using a yeast calculator I made 2 yeast starters that were stepped up to get what I thought was enough active warriors. I split between 2 carboys and started fermenting at 54 degrees. OG was 1.051, after about 2 weeks one of them was down to 1.016 and the other was at 1.030 and very little activity in the air lock. Fearing a stuck fermentation on the second one, I decided to start a diacetyl rest, and raised the temperature to 64 degrees. One is now down to 1.012 and seems to be at it's final gravity. The other one is down to 1.020 and very little activity bubbling away. I have been at 64 degrees for 2 weeks now. My question is, should I give up on the one at 1.020 and start lagering now? As slow as it is moving, I don't think it is going to get much lower. I really like the taste of the one at 1.012, but the one at 1.020 is a little sweet for me.

I made 11 gallons of an Oktoberfest using extract. Using a yeast calculator I made 2 yeast starters that were stepped up to get what I thought was enough active warriors. I split between 2 carboys and started fermenting at 54 degrees. OG was 1.051, after about 2 weeks one of them was down to 1.016 and the other was at 1.030 and very little activity in the air lock. Fearing a stuck fermentation on the second one, I decided to start a diacetyl rest, and raised the temperature to 64 degrees. One is now down to 1.012 and seems to be at it's final gravity. The other one is down to 1.020 and very little activity bubbling away. I have been at 64 degrees for 2 weeks now. My question is, should I give up on the one at 1.020 and start lagering now? As slow as it is moving, I don't think it is going to get much lower. I really like the taste of the one at 1.012, but the one at 1.020 is a little sweet for me.

I usually ramp the d-rest up to a little higher temp, 68-70. If you've done the main fermentation low, a higher temp later won't affect the flavor, IMO. And yes, 1.020 would be high for a lagered beer.

Latest posts

Back