when to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvig

Reaction score
Hi, I just began my second fermentation 2 days ago which is supposed to go for about 2 weeks to which then I bottle it, I was just wonderingif when I add my sugar to carbonate it? Should I add it a few days before bottling or right before? Also, how much should I add to a 5 gallon batch? If I'm adding corn sugar does 2-3 lbs sound good?

I'm guessing you mean that you just racked it to a secondary vessel... these are rarely needed. Next time, it will save you some trouble, just leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks. Then rack to your bottling bucket. Also, if you don't have one, a hydrometer is your best friend when brewing. If you have one, use it to determine when the beer is ready to be bottled.

Also, use the priming calculator provided below to figure out how much corn sugar to add... 2-3 lbs is redonkulous. Boil the recommended sugar amount in 2 cups of water for 15 min. and add to the bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top of that. Then bottle from there.

http://www.backyardbrewers.com/?page_id=201

You don't need to boil the sugar to pasteurize it. That happens at 162F. So just get 2C of water boiling,take it off the heat,& stir in the measured amount of priming sugar (by weight in calculators) till clear & cover to cool while you get other things set up. That amount of heat will be more than enough for pasteurization to occur.

Yea lbs was a mistake haha, and I used a pre packaged priming sugar, hopefully it doesn't need to be boiled became I didn't boil it lol I just added it then racked then bottled.

hi guys,

new to brewing and have just read this thread and have a question: is it possible to throw the pasteurized sugar straight into the fermenter? the reason I ask is because I do not have a bottling bucket as the fermenter that I use has a spigot on it already (Coopers DIY Kit). The only problem that I see is that all the gunk sitting at the bottom of the fermenter (yeast?) will be dispersed if I stir in the pasteurized sugar.

any insights would be appreciated :)

All the Cooper's fermenters are designed to be used with their carbonation drops in the bottles. Their lil bottler wand ataches to the spigot & bottle from there. Get a bottling bucket rigged up. I think ity cost me $12 at the LHBS.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah I used the carb. drops when bottling my first ever batch a few weeks ago but was wanting something that was sanitized and uniform ie. you are supposed to use 2 drops per 750ml, but this becomes problematic when I want to use a 1.25 litre bottle.

Hmm - might have to get another bucket - any other ideas?

You'll need a spigot for the bottling bucket,the white/red Italian one is best,since it fits the 3/8" tubing given with the Fermtech bottling wand.

Back