When to buy Liquid Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLovinBeast57

Reaction score
I know that a tube of white labs apparently has more yeast cells compared to dry yeast like Safale-05.. I think I'm going to stick to using packets of dry yeast for now, but I have heard that it should not be used with certain beer styles.

My question is, how do I know when I should opt for a liquid yeast strain?

Which beer styles need liquid yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A tube of liquid yeast generally has fewer cells than a packet of dry yeast. Dry yeasts can work across a pretty broad range of styles. Usually a liquid yeast is used to modify the flavor a bit, or achieve a certain desired effect. For most beers you're likely to start out with, you can do a LOT with dry yeasts. The great thing about liquid yeasts is the huge variety available, not that they make inherently better beer. I'd say don't bother until you feel like changing things up a bit.

Some use liquid yeast when they cannot find a dry yeast strain that matches the profile they are looking for.

This is because there are many liquid yeast stains that are not offered as dry yeast strains. This is changing as more companies seek to offer a variety of dry yeasts for every beer style. However, it will take a long time for all of the liquid yeast strains to be offered as dry yeast (and this may never happen).

There is no problem sticking to dry yeasts but in some cases it is best to chose a liquid yeast strain that matches the particular beer style.

Some use liquid yeast when they cannot find a dry yeast strain that matches the profile they are looking for.

This is because there are many liquid yeast stains that are not offered as dry yeast strains. This is changing as more companies seek to offer a variety of dry yeasts for every beer style. However, it will take a long time for all of the liquid yeast strains to be offered as dry yeast (and this may never happen).

There is no problem sticking to dry yeasts but in some cases it is best to chose a liquid yeast strain that matches the particular beer style.

Interesting.. I cannot wait for the day when there's hundreds of different dry yeast strains haha

I guess the question is what beer styles are best for liquid yeasts?

Liquid yeast has a problem with cell viability when they are processed into dry yeast. That is why you find fewer dry options. They companies just found a few strains that are veyr good at remaining healthy enough to package.

You can do a lot with the dry yeast. They can be pretty good at fermenting most style.

But, a lot of people want exactly the strain that "so-and-so" uses, or in a lot of cases, there isn't a good option for dry yeast that gives the character that the liquid yeast gives.

I normally use dry yeast because I can pitch plenty of it easily and at lower cost. You get a LOT more yeast in one package of dry than you do one package of liquid. I use liquid when I want to brew a beer that there is no good substitute for, like Belgian beers, sours, etc.

Hopefully some day the dry yeast companies will manage to package some of those hard-to-dry strains well enough to be able to offer them for sale. With today's selection of liquid yeast, I would not be surprised to find them hard at work to get there.

For me the biggest convenience of dry yeast is the fact that I don't have to worry about keeping it cold or the cells dying. I don't need an ice pack if I order online and I can just open a packet whenever I need to. Plus it's nice to have the option of making a starter.

To me its about Control and hitting style markers and getting what you want.

If I want a certain yeast character then I want to go with liquid.... a lot of British,Belgian styles or even a Hefeweizen really depend on the yeast strain for that Fruity,spicy, or tart character that really is apart of their style, and you can tailor it futher by choosing maybe 3 different strains or more that still fit that style but give a unique character with each.

If I am doing a westcoast DIPA ya I could use 1056 or pacman but I usually just opt for US05, no mess and no measuring, and I get the beer I was aiming for. I honestly dislike using dry just because I love the science behind making a starter and getting out the stir plate and preparing the day before. If I want a pure malt forward or Hop forward beer, ive learned dry is where to go.

I like this guys opinion the subject....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back