When to Bottle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shay1989

Reaction score
I have a question for someone with a little more homebrew experience. So I made a pumpkin ale a little over 3 weeks ago with an original gravity of 1.071. after 9 days I racked it to secondary and the gravity was at 1.023. Now after being in secondary for 2 weeks its down 1.015 and I think fermentation has slowed down to almost nothing. So my question is at 1.015 is it okay to bottle? I was going to let it bottle age for 4-6 weeks. Or do I need to pitch more yeast to get it closer to 1.000 or is it just a matter of taste as to how sweet you want the beer to turn out? I probably should have let it sit in primary longer. whoops

Can you post the recipe? That'll help people tell where the FG should be. It may well be done, depending on style.

One thing to look at though, is when you transferred to secondary. Looks like you transferred before the beer was done fermenting. You'll find your ferments go much better if you wait until fermentation is done before you transfer. Some folks on here don't even bother with the secondary.

Back