When to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblock

Reaction score
hi all...i am a first time brewer who brewed his first batch two weeks this coming monday. its an Amber ale kit i got at the local brew outlet and i am wondering if i should let it contuine to sit in the carboy for another week or should I bottle this weekend? I have to leave town so its two weeks or three weeks. I got Palmer's book and it say single stage fermentation can take two to three weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Much appreciated...rookie, but excited, brewer

Keep it in the carboy until you get back, you will have a better beer.

I always leave mine for 4 to 6 weeks in primary, HOWEVER, since this is your first batch you probably are anxious to try it. If your final gravity is where it is suppose to be, you can bottle.

Start a second batch right away so you can leave that on in the primary a little longer and reap the benefits of letting your yeast finish its job of cleaning up the flavor of your beer.

Welcome to HBT and home brewing!

A huge part of the allure of this hobby is learning what happens when.....

I say bottle it. As you progress in the hobby and build your pipeline you'll end up letting beer sit in the primary for, perhaps, a month. Then you can decide if it makes a difference with the beer that you like to make.

I personally like to let mine sit in the carboy for 3 weeks. It does give you better beer. If you can wait, go ahead and wait. You will have less chances of off flavors etc.

Back