When to bottle Apfelwein.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durus5995

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post. I am making a 1 gallon batch of Apfelwein using some random cider off the shelf. I am using Levin 1118c yeast from what I remember. Seeing that I like my stuff strong I bumped up the SG to 1.110 and pitched the yeast on May 17th. I took a reading yesterday and its down to 1.010 I would like to carbonate but, I am worried about bottle bombs if I were to bottle right now. I picked up some Muntons Carbtabs and I was wondering at what gravity should I bottle?

I would leave it in the primary for at least a month. I've made quite a few batches of that stuff and I always leave it in the primary for around a month.

With Montrachet I went to 0.998 before it stopped, then I left in in the primary for a total of 4 months. It was the EdWorts original recipe and has had rave reviews.

Technically you can bottle after you're certain it's done fermenting. Many would say you can be certain when after 2 days the gravity has not dropped. If you're in a hurry, test it every couple days when the airlock activity dies down (like 2 min or more per bubble). Keep testing until the gravity stops dropping. Or just wait a month or more like the others said.

I've had champagne yeast (like the one you're using) go down to 0.993.

I wouldn't be surprised if the champagne yeast takes it to .990. It certainly should finish dry.

If you bottle now, I think you'll have bottle bombs. Wait until it's done fermenting, and clear, and then bottle.

I wouldn't be surprised if the champagne yeast takes it to .990. It certainly should finish dry.

If you bottle now, I think you'll have bottle bombs. Wait until it's done fermenting, and clear, and then bottle.

In theory, could he bottle now if he didn't add more sugar?

In theory, could he bottle now if he didn't add more sugar?

Well, sure. But the bottles might blow up......................

When you add priming sugar, you usually increase the gravity by about .004, if memory serves me. If the apfelwein was going to stop at 1.005 or so, it'd be fine. But if it finishes at .990, that would be a real risk of bottle bombs. It's not really possible to guess exactly where it's going to stop. That's why you wait until it's done and then add a prescribed amount of priming sugar if you're carbonating. No risk of bottle bombs that way.

I wait about 6 months then bottle. Just did the batch I put together around new years. I'm not even going to open the first bottle til late August. I have found that most people hated it until it's been at least that long, then they love it. Most of them won't even be cracked til the winter.

You just had Yooper and Revvy comment on your post! Since you're new, you might not have the background to appreciate the knowledge being imparted.

My two cents? Cider or Appfelwein is usually a second thought, but a first pour. That means that I've usually got a carboy or two forgotten about in the garage or fridge. The longer you leave it alone, the better it will be. As soon as you get a "spare carboy" make a brew of cider and forget about it for a while.

Back