When to bottle - 1 week or 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBanana

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I brewed a Citra IPA last weekend. Can't wait til it finishes. It's been in Primary for 6 days now, and has been dry hopped for the last two days.

I normally give my brews two weeks in the FV before bottling. I don't have a secondary fermenter. (I do have a SS Chronical fermenter though, I do trub dumps, so almost as good).

I'm trying to work out if I bottle in two days time, or in two weeks time. Reason being, I dont have time to do it during the week and I'm interstate all next weekend, so it's either this weekend (for 1 week in Primary), or in two weeks (for 3 weeks in FV).

I took a gravity reading this afternoon, it's sitting at 1.010 which sounds ok to me.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

I'd say you might be safe, unless it hasn't reached final gravity. And only a couple more readings will comfirm that. Alot of people say that leaving dry hops for more than a week can cause vegetal flavors, but I cannot confirm that.

To me 2 days being dry hopped is just way too short. It is probably done fermenting but if you can't cold crash it I bet it hasn't cleared yet.
I would just let it sit for 3 weeks.

I would go with three only because I have never gone as low as one, 12 days is my shortest and so far no problems, so not much science to back up my vote. Also left a dry hop for two weeks with no trouble a couple times

When I make my high gravity citra IPA I dry hop it after the fermentation is done. I have 5 hop additions over my 10 day dry hop schedule. Then I bottle or keg.

I always hear not to leave the dry hops in there for more than 5 days. But so many recipes call for 10 days then another week for another addition meaning the first addition is in there for more than two weeks.. Does this not leave bad / grassy flavors?

EDIT: To contribute to this thread, I am bottling my IPA on the 14th day. I was sure it was good to go after 6. It was still quite hazy but the action was over. I'm sure you'll be fine to bottle

Back