When to add pumpkin/other gourd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done to death...maybe my question is a little more specific, though.

I have read on here that numerous people put their pumpkin into their mash. I'm planning on doing an extract brew. Would putting pumpkin (or, in my case, butternut squash) in with my steeping grains be similar to putting it in with the mash? Or, since I'm doing an extract, would it just be better to put it in with the main boil?

Thanks

Sorry if this has been done to death...maybe my question is a little more specific, though.

I have read on here that numerous people put their pumpkin into their mash. I'm planning on doing an extract brew. Would putting pumpkin (or, in my case, butternut squash) in with my steeping grains be similar to putting it in with the mash? Or, since I'm doing an extract, would it just be better to put it in with the main boil?

Thanks

Steeping it should be fine, but I have only done one pumpkin extract batch a few years ago and i added i straight to the boil and it turned out awesome so I can only speak from that experience. It was just a lttle hazy.

I'm also adding canned pumpkin to a extract I'm brewing this weekend, I did the same last year and it turned out great, but this year I'm adding it after baking it in the oven for an hour before adding it to the steeping and some in the main boil I'm also using a little extra nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger mix along with the spice that comes with my kit and a extra pound of pilsner light dry malt for a boost in gravity.

Thanks

General rule is that you can add pumpkin at any stage prior to going to fermentor. Even with all-grain brewing, a lot of people add them with 10 min to the boil.

That's what I am doing with my pumpkin scotch ale next week - I want to have a clean scotch ale version, and then a small batch of pumpkin spiced one.

I am personally not a huge fan of pumpkin beers. It's a bit of a fad, but I go along with it. Apparently pumpkin pie spices (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg) is what people respond to very strongly when they drink pumpkin beer - again, combination I really don't personally enjoy that much in my beer. It's association with pumpkin pie, not necessarily pumpkin itself. But it's easy to overdo it on the spice front.

Finally, apparently many pumpkin cans that claim "100% pumpkin" on them, are actually not real pumpkins - according to FDA, you can classify any gourd vegetable as "100% pumpkin", so when you buy canned pumpkin it's supposedly mostly selection of whatever gourd/squash is in season. This blew my mind a few years ago, anyone else can confirm it (I heard it from highly reputable sources but it makes me wonder what other lies we are being told when we buy food? - ok, rant over).

If you do cook pumpkin (which increases caramelized flavors, since pumpkin itself is rather bland once fermented), don't grease the sheet, just bake it in foil-lined pan at 300F or so for 1-2 hours. If you use actual pumpkins, look for small ones, as they have more flavor. Scoop out the pulp to add to mash or boil.

Pumpkin adds about 5 points of gravity per lb in 5G batch.

I actually picked up my FRESH butternut squash this evening. I am hoping to get to at least cook that tomorrow, if I don't get to brew tomorrow. I'll be cooking it on the grill with some pecan wood to the side for a little bit of smoke flavor. It'll be in the shell/skin...so no grease involved. I know that would be a no-no.

I'm going to look over my plans for the spices once or twice more before I do the brewing...I want to accentuate the butternut squash, not the spices. I want the spice to be subtle...just a hint. I found a number of places that talk about how much to add per gallon, and I've based my measurements on that. As I said, I'm going to double check things, and probably add less than is needed, just to be safe.

And thanks for the info on how many points of gravity per lb. That gives me an idea of what to expect.

I usually pick up some pie pumpkins (they're smaller and rounder), cut them up and then roast them in the oven gut side up at 325 degrees until they begin to caramelize. Then I scape the pumpkin guts into my mash. Works like a charm. Figure 4lbs of pumpkin for a 5 gallon batch.

Back