When to add/how much pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I am finally brewing my pumpkin ale tonight- & i have a 1 oz packet of pectic enzyme. when/how much should i add to my 5 gallon batch?

thanks!

JillC25 said:
I am finally brewing my pumpkin ale tonight- & i have a 1 oz packet of pectic enzyme. when/how much should i add to my 5 gallon batch?

thanks!

It doesn't have how much to use on the package? If I weren't at work I'd look at mine to see how much is needed.

When are you adding pumpkin? I wouldn't think you'd need to add pectic enzyme until you put in the pumpkin puree, which I assume would be in secondary fermentation.

EDIT: Okay--I had my wife look for me cause I wanna help you out....the directions on the package I have says:

"Add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of must before fermentation begins."

Does that help?

orrelse-

that was nice of you! thanks. no- my packet did not say how much to add. i will follow the instructions your wife found.

also, this recipe called for adding fresh pumpkin with the mash/steep and removing it for the boil. see my post a couple down in this thread for the whole recipe.

cheers!

Back