When to add flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uRabbit

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I'll be purchasing ~$120 worth of gear to get myself going on brewing soda. I've never brewed anything, so I'm starting from scratch.

I am trying to understand the best way of going about flavoring the beverage. When using a soda base extract, you add it in after you've brought your boiled sugar water to room temp. I'm wondering about not using a soda base.

I would like to stick with natural ingredients. Essential oils, extracts, and whole ingredients that I would be preparing myself.

So, my question is, when would I add said flavorings? Let's say I've got the following:

- Lemon oil
- Lime oil
- Whole vanilla beans
- Ginger root
- Fruit puree
- Nutmeg
- Cloves
- Cassia bark oil

When would I add the oils and the whole ingredients. Together? Separately? Add some while boiling the sugar water and other once it's at room temp?

Edit: Also, would I want to skip getting the Ferrari auto-fill stopper so that I can stop the filling at a level with enough space to allow room for fermentation? And, how would you get those ingredients out so that you don't clog the siphon or spigot, or get junk in your product?

Thanks!

You can put the ingredients in a bag. For beers with whole leaf hops, I tie a small bag around the end of my siphon to keep the leaves out of the siphon.

What is your process? You shouldn't let the sugar water sit, you should just get that ready when you are ready to ferment. You could make tinctures of those flavors with everclear, or just puree everything and hope it settles out in the bottle.

Hey, just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here. If you want to use those oils (most of what you seem to want to use here are oils of one kind or another) you absolutely can, but you need an emulsifier. They have a couple of natural emulsifiers available from various places, but essentially you would then figure out your oil proportions for various flavor preparations (Google "Cube coke clone" to get an idea. They use mostly essential oils), mix those in proportion with your emulsifier and BOOM, you have natural soda "syrups" just waiting to be added to the hot sugary water of your choosing and carbonated.

Back