When to add extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
I started a brew now and I think if I add all my liquid and dry extract in at the start of the boil, I will just get boilovers and had read some add part of their extract near the end of the boil. Is this a good idea or should I just try adding it all in?

Thanks

Maybe you should try splitting it into more than one kettle, if there are any complex carbohydrates in your extract they will not get used in the fermentation, boiling helps break down those into simpler sugars.

It really depends on several things, but in general you can add 1/2 or more of the extract at flame out. Now, for my "depends" reasoning: having less extract in the boil means you'll get better hops utilization. So, that means if you're following a recipe that was designed to add all of the extract early and a smaller boil, then you'll have a much more bitter beer if you do that.

If you want to post the recipe (and the goals, like IBU, OG, FG, etc), one of us can take a look and tell you the best course of action.

Extract has already been boiled and processed, so there isn't any reason extract needs to boil, technically. It's more a matter of the bittering you'll get out of the hops if you don't add all of the extract.

Pretty much as Yooperbrew has said - the main reason to add extract in early is to make the gravity right for best/optimum hop utilisation. Basically that should see you aim for around a 1040 wort - any other extract just add in at the end to dissolve. Above 1040 will see your hop utilisation diminish (and subsequently mean more hops additions which equals unecessary expense).

Below I believe (and don't take this as gospel - I'm still working some things out) you will get better utilisation but are more likely to get harsher flavours resulting.

I see, thank you very much for your responses everyone. I added in all the extract at the beginning before I saw some of these posts. I used BeerSmith to make my calculations for an IPA recipe which estimated my OG at about 1.065 and IBUs to be around 65 so I guess my hop utilization will be lower. I would think beersmith assumes the extract was added at the start of the boil, but I should look into that.

I see, thank you very much for your responses everyone. I added in all the extract at the beginning before I saw some of these posts. I used BeerSmith to make my calculations for an IPA recipe which estimated my OG at about 1.065 and IBUs to be around 65 so I guess my hop utilization will be lower. I would think beersmith assumes the extract was added at the start of the boil, but I should look into that.

If you pull up your recipe in BeerSmith, double click on the extract in your ingredient list. On the popup window there's a place to check "late extract" and enter # of minutes. Enter the same extract twice to your recipe page and check "late extract" for one, leave the other unchecked. Make sure to enter the correct quty by weight for each entry & BSmith will make all the adjustments for you. :)

Just work out how much to add to make it 1040 then chuck the last bit in at the end of the boil. Simple and less hops used.

Over here hops are quite expensive - if they're pretty cheap where you are then maybe don't worry.

I am not an expert at all at this, but my last two batches, both on the same day, were done each way. The first batch was all late (20 min left) and the second was 1/2 the extract added when the boil started, the rest at 20 min. No problems at all in the first boil, but the second was nothing but a head ache. Boiled over like mad, had to get a fan blowing on it the whole time, it never settled down. Because of the fan, the evaporation rate was probably a gallon more than the first batch.
Both of these are in the fermenter right now so I can't go by taste, but unless there is a BIG difference, I will be going with late extract for the next batches.

I wouldn't recommend not adding extract early purely because of the possibility of boilover. Avoid boilovers by using an appropriate size pot, watching your boil and adjusting the heat where necessary.

Back