when to add dme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
Just curious about everyones opinion. Should add dme to water or add water to dme or does it not seem to matter?

I think the majority of people add DME to water, but there may be a few who do the opposite. Do what works for you.

For a hoppy pale beer, a good technique is to add 1/2 or more of your extract late boil or flameout to minimize caramelization, increase hop utilization, and to limit the amount of perceived extract flavor.

When are you adding your dme? When I extract brew, I always add DME during the boil (either right at the beginning of the boil or later). If you add dme during this time, I would add it to the water and not the other way around. It would be dangerous to add boiling water to dme.

Let me know if you are adding dme at a different point of the brewing process. I'm always interested in learning new techniques.

I can't think of a reason or method that would make sense to add water to DME. If you toss DME into a dry hot pan, you will end up with a caramel mess. You can scorch a thick DME/water solution to get some more melanoidin/caramel flavor and/or color but you will generally heat your water and add the DME to the hot water.

I'm pretty new to this and keep seeing people post about adding at flameout. Is that just when you turn off the burner? What are the benefits of this? Thanks.

It's called late extract addition. I add the other half of the 3lb bag of plain DME used in the boil,with all the LME at flame out. It litterally means when you turn the heat off. On electric stoves,remove from the hot burner,then add the remaining extract(s). This makes for lighter color & cleaner flavor.

Lol im new to brewing and what i did was actually put dme in pan not hot pan though the measured my water and added it to the pan then gave heat while stirring a little in the beginning. Seems to have worked ok but still in secondary so havent tasted just got a chance to smell it:)

Lol im new to brewing and what i did was actually put dme in pan not hot pan though the measured my water and added it to the pan then gave heat while stirring a little in the beginning. Seems to have worked ok but still in secondary so havent tasted just got a chance to smell it:)

That won't affect your finished product much at all, the only reason people add the DME to hot water is it is easier to dissolve. Like Uniondr says, some people add the extract with about 10 minutes left in the boil. Adding all the extract at the start can lead to a darker beer.

When i use DME i mix it in a pitcher of warm/hot water first then pour it in.

Interesting replies thanks everyone my beer is dark i hope it doesnt end up with the dark beer bite

I was told to boil for 45 min so do you boil for 45 min from start of boiling no matter when you add your dme then?

The boil is for hops. It has (almost) nothing to do with the malt extract. So yes, if your directions say boil 45 minutes, get the water boiling, add a little extract and your first hop addition, and start the timer. When you are almost done, add the balance of the extract.

Latest posts

Back