When to add Belgian Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_IC

Reaction score
Just finished my first solo brew. It was an all grain altbier. Made a few mistakes, but very drinkable, nonetheless.

My next one is going to be an all grain clone of Leffe Brune. It calls for Belgian Candi Syrup. But the recipe I found that I want to try is more like an ingredient list. Boiling times for hops are shown, but nothing says when to put in the syrup. I'm assuming it would be standard for any recipe that calls for syrup. Does it go in with the boil? The mash?

Thanks.

I've only used candi syrup a couple of times but I've always put it in during the boil. My thinking was that it would just break the sugar up throughout the wort. It seemed to work as far as hitting the predicted FG.

It's probably like everything else in beer brewing, no single right answer.

When I have used it I add it at the 10 min mark (left in boil), so a short boil. I guess it could be added at flameout or during primary fermentation.

I add to the boil as well. If the beer is higher gravity pushing into 1.090 and higher I have had good luck adding the syrup to the fermenter after fermentation has started but to be noted I also add oxygen 12 hours after pitching. It has made my bigger beers cleaner due to less yeast stress.

I usually add it towards the end of the boil, but I see no reason why you couldn't add it later. I started experimenting with adding it in secondary in some of my sours (along with a sour culture pitch in secondary), after doing a clean primary.

Back