When should I start kegging/get a keg kit/where

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelScime

Reaction score
Well I guess the title says it

How long should I wait to keg
wheres a good place for prices(canada especially)
Will need co2 so what size should I get 5 or 10

I say start kegging as soon as you are sure this is a hobby you are interested in long-term. I did maybe 5 batches before it became clear I hated bottling. I did know that I really like brewing though and wanted to keep doing it.

I can't help on god place to get gear in Canada, however I will tell you that a 5 pound C02 tank lasts a long time on a single keg.

I waited over 2 years of bottling before I finally could not stand it anymore and went all out on a Keezer.

As said above, it is a bit pricey to get setup so make sure you are in it for the long term.

A 5 pounder will be just fine for most folks.

Check out Homebrewstuff for gear, usually good deals for the US, not sure on up north for you tho sorry

:fro:

Local welding supply stores generally have the lowest markup on bottled CO2. Check several stores though for the best price.
I would go with a 10lb tank. The cost to fill (at least in the US) is largely a set fee plus a small amount for the gas. A #10 tank costs only about 10% more to refill than a #5 tank.
How long: as in "how long after pitching yeast" or "how many batches should I bottle before I switch to kegging" ? How long after pitching is the same whether botting or kegging, same specific gravity for 3 days.

I know I already hate bottles and think it would be so muck easier to have 4 kegs in my closet then 300 bottles :p like I could see how if I was going places it could be a problem but I mean ughh idk maybe I should just bottle for a year or something

If you hate bottling and are committed to brewing (byt that I mean you love it and don't think you would stop any time) then I'd go to the keg ASAP. I am a HUGE fan of my single keg set up. I love having a beer on tap all the time.

I just did a check on the sponsor list and there is a place called Ontario Beer Kegs.

Kegging is pretty awesome. You carb things up to the level you want, it doesn't take as long (unless something goes wrong I suppose), and it's just awesome filling a glass with a cobra tap, shank faucet, or tower faucet. My opinion is that it's less work. If you're looking to do it, I highly doubt you'll regret it. Make sure that you find a place that will fill CO2 for you locally, and figure out how you're going to keep your kegs cool. Once you have both of those nailed down, you're set.

Started kegging this year on my third batch, and it is well worth it. Remember you will need a cold place to keep the keg in.

If you have have some cash to invest, absolutely start kegging. Many a home brewer becomes a former home brewer because he can't bare the thought of cleaning and bottling another batch. If you're at all handy, you can build a keezer with many taps and then things get really good in your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well Ill be living in my dorm next year but I figure I don't mind room temp lager and such like its not bad, I'm sure the co2 will chill it a little then i like my rooms under 70 like ice to the skin but maybe I could rig a keezer in the closet or beside my bed :p

Michael, definitely pick up a 4CF mini-fridge. Most of them are fairly easy to turn into kegerators. That being said, there are many threads here on building a kegerator. You also need to know that 4 CF is about the smallest you can use. It's easier if you get one that doesn't have a whole bunch of junk in the door. :) I picked up a used mini-fridge off Craig's List that had a bunch of removable storage containers in the door. I removed 'em and now I can ALMOST fit two kegs AND the 5# CO2 in there (I need to remove the light/temp control and reposition it.)

I don't know your budget but here is what I did in the end. Had an old 20 lb fire extinguisher hydro and siphon tube installed cost 100 full, also bought refill hose 20. Kegerator I bought came with a 5 lb tank I hook to my large keg. 20 oz paintball tank also used for $10 for my 2.5 gallon keg.

My budget is like 500 if I get a set up

ontariobeerkegs is the place to get your stuff. bought most of my stuff there and you will be hard pressed to find better prices anywhere in canada. shipping is also super fast.

How fast would I be able to get like yeast in a couple days?

I'm on the other side of Toronto from you and I get my orders usually within a couple of days after I order them. Given OBK's location (Mitchell, ON), I suspect you would get an order in about the same time. My orders ship in about one day and then take a couple to get here.

Consistent 3 day turnaround in my experience, OBK to London

The upsides to kegging are tremendous, but it took us a little while to get it all down. it hasn't "paid itself off" in bottle costs yet, but it's worth not having to scrub bottles on my knees in front of the bathtub for an hour every time I finish a beer.

The downside is that you can't just give people beers. I guess that's kind of an upside.

Just my $0.02, if your LHBS sells kegging equipment and they aren't overcharging you like crazy, I would recommend buying from them. From my experience working at a LHBS, I know we had a lot of customers who were still new to kegging bring us back their equipment and we would help them solve little rinky-dink problems (sourcing leaks, showing them how to use their regulators, etc.). Since they bought from us, we did this for them free of charge. The excellent customer service you are going to get from a LHBS might be worth the extra few bucks it may cost you.

Get the 20lb er with siphon tube to charge up your smaller bottles. And try to have someone fill it for you so you don't exchange the bottle. 5lb bottles last a long time, and paintball 20 oz. Are handy for travel,party,fishing ect.

Back