When is a pot lid okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trokair

Reaction score
My gas stove can bring 3 gallons to a boil but only just so I want to use the pot lid to get it to boil quicker and maybe to keep the boil at a higher level but I know that some things have to boil out. I'm extract brewing and was wondering if anyone knew offhand when a lid is okay. I didn't use the lid once the extract was added this time but the boil never got very high because of it. As long as I'm at boil temperatures does it matter if it gets into a higher boil?

With extract the lid isn't the issue that it would be with AG and pilsner malt. Even then its not a big deal.

I would just use the lid to get to the initial boil temperature faster. After that take it off its pointless anyways.

The only time I use a lid is during cooling, just to cover the kettle to keep things from falling into the wort. Even then, it's only partially covered since trapping the heat inside seems counterproductive. Besides, my chiller is also sticking out of the pot so I can't cover it anyway.

In extract brewing, you don't have to worry as much about DMS build-up. IMO, it's still a good habit to keep the lid off anyway.

So as long as the water is boiling enough to move I should be fine then?

i need to get a lid for my pot, takes so damn long to get the thing boiling again. I live in nyc so going outside with a Propane burner isn't an option, tho I wish it was!

When I did extract and pm brews on the stove I used a lid to get to boil, then removed it. Doing AG with propane there is no need for a lid to hold heat in.

Back