When and if to pitch bottling yeast in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterlate

Reaction score
As the season comes near i usually do my yearly ginger stout but this year i tried something a little different by not doing a secondary. This is a very full beer much like a imperial stout starting at 1.088 and usually finishing around 1.022. my question is, its been sitting in the primary for around 3 weeks now. Do i need to transfer to a secondary for another week or two then pitch my bottling yeast (i usually do 3 days before bottling) or if i leave in the primary for another 2 weeks can i bottle straight from there without using the yeast?

Not sure I get the point behind pitching "bottling yeast" - maybe if you'd had SO long a fermentation and conditioning period that all the yeast had dropped out you'd want some new yeast... But at 3-6 weeks? I'd just let it ride and bottle as-is.

I wouldn't be tempted to pitch "bottling yeast" unless I had it in secondary for months.

For this one, unless you are adding something, I see no need for either a secondary or "bottling yeast"

I would also say that if the beer is clear, it is already there and can be bottled whenever you want.

Latest posts

Back