Wheeled Platform for Keezer - Plywood or Frame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
OK so I'm finally about ready to get a freezer to build a keezer.

One feature I want is to have a platform for the freezer to sit on, so that I can move it around if needed.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to build it, that is both as cost and time efficient as possible. Aesthetics aren't that important as it'll be in a laundry room. I'll just slap a coat of white paint on it and call it done.

I've seen people make these just out of plywood with casters screwed onto it, and as 2x4 (or similar) frames. Ideally I'd just like to get a sheet of plywood and attach some casters, seems so much easier. But does anyone know how much weight something like that could hold?

I am planning on a 14.8 cf freezer that could hold up to 8 or so kegs. At capacity that could be like 500 lb (around 150 lb freezer + 8 kegs x (5 gal x 8 lb/gal) = 470). Is say 3/4 in plywood up for that? How about thinner ply? Or is framing wood (2x4, etc) needed?

Thanks

My opinion is that a frame made out of 2x4 s will not only be cheaper but also have more structural integrity. It would also be easier to fix a 2x4 structure more visually appealing by adding an apron around the perimeter of the dolly.

I hope that you may find this helpful.

Mark

I'd pretty much say that putting a piece of 3/4 plywood on the bottom of the freezer would be "okay" - but certainly not what you'd want. At that point, almost the same as putting the wheels (dollys/casters) to the freezer itself.

I'd build a nice frame of 2x4, or maybe 2x6 if I wanted more 'tap height', and then cover that with the 3/4" plywood. 2x4 (2x6) spaced at 16" centers just like floor joist. Then, a nice 'skirt' of cabinet grade plywood around the outside edge down to near floor to cover the wheels. Wouldn't also be a bad idea to put a 7/16" OSB on the bottom of the main frame to help keep it true when pushing it around.

Could be over-engineered, maybe. :) My wife claims I do this, but I don't know..... Bigger and stronger is ALWAYS better with something you're going to be moving around. You'll want ZERO flex it in, with 500# and your precious beer there, one flex a wheel pops off, and it tips over. Then, you've lost not just the beer, but maybe the whole keezer as well.

Call me cheap or lazy, but I bought a basic furniture dolly at Home Depot and just put the keezer on that. It's not pretty but the size is almost perfect.

Edit: I just saw that you have a 15 cubic foot keezer. Mine is only 7.

How do you make sure that all 4 dollys move as they should when you move the keezer?

The solution may vary depending on whether you're going to have a collar style keezer or not (eg: tower). My 10cf freezer was deep enough to hold six kegs without a collar, and I had always wanted a stainless t-tower up top. I did want the top of the keezer to be around 44" above the deck for comfort, and the math said a dolly fabricated from 2x8s would do the trick.

ab_jun_15_2011_06.jpg

If you were going to add a collar, you'd probably want to go with 2x4s for the dolly instead to keep the overall height reasonable, but the construction would be similar. I mitered the major joints then added 2x4 corner gussets to help prevent racking, add a bit more strength, and provide a home for the inside corner screws for the castors. Everything was then glued and screwed. The freezer bottom is set in about two inches on all sides so it nests inside the dolly with the perimeter resting on top, a definitely bonus as there was no need to secure one to the other...

ab_jun_15_2011_07.jpg

Cheers!

I built a similar size unit and the bottom is not flat. It had four feet formed into it near the corners. I found some small three wheeled furniture Dolly's at the local Menards. I set them on it and secured then on the bottom of the feet with short self taping screws. The wheels are kind of small so it would not roll well on a rough surface or carpet but mine is on concrete. It was easy and not real expensive. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back