Wheat Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyk

BrazoriaBrew
Reaction score
Down the road with the crickets and the frogs
Wanting to brew this Sunday and am looking for a wheat water profile. The recipe that I am using is as follows:

4.5 lbs 2 Row
4.5 lbs White Wheat
8.0 oz Carapils
8.0 oz Munich Light
8.0 oz CaraVienna

I am wanting to use Texas Spring Water which has the analysis of, but could always go with R/O if that would simplify things

Ca- 3.0 ppm
Mg- 1.0
Na- 5.0
Cl- 2.0
HC03- 10.0
pH- 5.7

I am using Bru'n Water; should I go with a Yellow Balanced or maybe a Yellow Full. I would like a little sweetness on this. What do you brewers reccomend? I am still trying to wrap my head around all this water additive stuff.:confused: It seems that every time I do a search for a certain profile; they are all over the place with water additions. Any help would be great!

Opinions vary, of course, as wheat's are brewed all over Germany with a wide variety of waters. I've always felt that the water isn't a feature of the wheat beer as there is so much else going on and as it was originally brewed with Isar water which I assume they decarbonated. Thus I'd say get the chloride up a bit to support the malt and body a bit (but not too much - there's plenty of body in a wheat beer from the wheat) and go with the spring water or RO.

With the water profile of the Texas Spring water, you can use that as a starting point. The Yellow profiles in Bru'n Water are modestly mineralized and can be suited for an American Wheat beer. If you are brewing a Hefeweizen or similar style, I suggest you review the low chloride and sulfate levels that are typical in the Munich profile. Munich water is typical of most of Southern Bavaria.

Back