Wheat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollinred

Reaction score
My first attempt at building a recipe. Recently I found my new favorite beer that is a wheat IPA. It inspired me to try something different and create my own recipe. I built this with brewtarget. Have not made it yet but since it is my first try I figured I would throw it up for some expert opinions.

Briess 2-Row 6 lbs
Pale Wheat 4 lbs
Vienna 1.5 lbs
Caramel 20 10 oz
Caramel Pils 6 oz

Amarillo 9.6 1oz (60 min)
Cascade 6.9 1oz (60 min)
Amarillo .5oz (30 min)
Cascade 1oz (15 min)
Amarillo .5oz flameout

Cascade 1oz Dry
Williamette 1oz Dry

I will probably use US-05 for the first one and see how she goes. It appears I should be looking at 1.068 OG and about 1.17 FG. In theory this is exactly what I am looking for. I want to citrus from the cascades to really come through and to also have some of that sweet wheat taste. Think this will do it?

Looks solid to me, although I'd probably drop the Willamettes dry hop in favor of more Amarillo (I would probably also up the flameout hopping to 1 oz of each). You’ll probably get a lower FG, US-05 is very attenuative in my experience.

Well to give you an idea, I just made this:

http://hopville.com/recipe/681825/specialty-beer-recipes/buzzed-wheat

And tasting it during the racking to the secondary it really didn't have the hoppy kick in the face that an IPA normally has, in fact it was pretty balanced tasting to me, though I do love hoppy beers so might be too strong for some.

Beer Calc gives it an estimated 89.6 IBU where yours has a estimated 66.6 IBU, but then yours is hitting 6.5% ABV where mine is +8.0% ABV.

Thanks guys,

The hop side of things is where I believe the real experimentation needs to be done. On previous recipes it seems like you almost never know what your going to get.

I will certainly consider upping the hops. I put Willamettes in there because I liked them in for dry hop in a few other beers. This will be my first time with Amarillo.

I have had APA's that were hoppier than IPA's with fewer IBU's. Of course a lot of this is the balance and such I understand but I guess i am saying that I have had beers where I thought for sure I would notice a good hop kick and they were hardly noticeable.

So I brewed this up tonight with a couple of changes.

There is only 1 lb 5 oz of Vienna for starters.

I also changed the hop schedule but that what this issue is here. For the other 3 all grain batches I have done I hit 79-82 % efficiency.

On this recipe I got 1.048 pre-boil gravity... NOT good. OG after boil was 1.053. No where near what I was intending.

I have a feeling I am going to end up with one incredibly hoppy beer but we shall see. I really wish this would have turned out as I am having family up and this was intended to be served then. Oh well, good try for first recipe designed. I will tweak and improve as much as I can.

Can anyone with a Blichmann 10 gallon give me an idea of how much boil off they get. I have no idea where I should be, especially because of the liquid expansion and such. Not to mention when I put in my wort chiller I have even less of an idea where I should be.

Back