wheat beer w/ mullberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken11

Reaction score
:mug::mug: Ive been thinking of adding mulberrys to my wheat beer. its just a 5 gallon batch. wondering if anyone could say how much berries in pounds or oz to use and how to sterilize the berries. thanks

I think 1 to 1.5 lb of fruit per gallon is usually good. I freeze the fruit first, which makes it easier to smush and should kill most critters. Or you can heat the fruit with some water to 165 (pasteurization temp) but I prefer not to risk setting the pectins. Or you can mush the fruit at room temp and add some crushed campden tablets (potassium sorbate, I think. Or sulfate. Or something.) but I prefer not risking killing the yeastie beasties.
Then add to secondary. Using a mesh bag is nice so when you're done you can just lift the bag out with all the pulp. This works best with a bucket style fermenter obviously, but I've actually added fruit to a glass carboy which is possible though certainly a PITA to clean. Hint: put fruit in first, then rack on top of it. Then if you run out of space, you can just bottle the remainder or put it in a second carboy or jug, rather than not being able to add as much fruit as you want. Make sure to leave plenty of headspace because I have found that adding the fruit usually kicks off an exuberant fermentation.

I was thinking the same thing today! Please keep me posted if you do decide to make a wheat will mulberries.

Best of luck and cheers!

did an american wheat variety adding 2 oz of citra hops to regular recipe + 3 lbs of mullberries :drunk: come out awesome. not overly fruity but not looking for a fruit beer . just a good note of mullberry at the end. Perfect!!!!!! very different than other berries.

I recently did a mulberry pale ale. I found a clone of DFH's Aprihop. And after some tweaking with a guy at the local brew store, we came up with a recipe for a Mulberry Pale Ale. It turned out... eh. Not terrible. But mulberries are quite tart. He also suggested using strawberries and raspberries to balance them out, which I think helped. But not enough.

Idk,I didn't think mulberries we grew in cinci were that tart. Great flavor,though. My wife's mulberry jam tasted like desert wine. But tart fruit in wheat ale/pale ale is the way to go,imo.

My in-laws have a couple mulberry trees at their house. After reading this, it's terribly tempting to go pick a bunch and do a mulberry wheat.

I just bottled a blueberry wheat for SWMBO tonight and it's pretty darn tasty so I'd probably just follow the same recipe. Hmm.

I have made multiple batches of mulberry wheat ale, and its surprisingly refreshing, with a great head. Inventory: 6 lbs Wheat malt syrup, 1 oz Willamette (60 min), 1 oz Cascade (15 min), and either Safale US-05 Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1010 American Wheat, 4 Qts of mulberry juice at bottling (use a sieve or cheese cloth to crush and juice the berries)

BUMP

After reading all of this, I'll probably be brewing a mulberry beer soon (most likely a wheat). My parents have a couple of trees on their property. One is a white mulberries that are slightly sweet but bland otherwise. They also have a larger tree that gives blackish/purple fruit. This fruit is sweeter and fuller flavored. This is the fruit I'd use.

Back