Wheat beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubvortex

Reaction score
I want to add raspberries to my wheat beer and was wondering if it would be alright to just add them to the primary after a week of fermenting instead of putting it in a secondary? Has anyone done this? I dont wanna do secondary.

oh really? darn! I was reading a thread whare a guy said he adds fruit after the first 3 days in primary. What would happen if I did it this way, and whats a tertiary?

1st is a primary, 2nd is a secondary, 3rd is a tertiary. Does anyone know what 4th would be?

I love using the word tertiary (ter-she-air-e) to mean that you will have to transfer a second time to a third carboy. People think a Tertiary is a special piece of equipment.

First off, you should always use a secondary it makes better beer. You can put the fruit in the primary if you want but I think you would get more flavor from the fruit by adding it to the secondary. If you add the fruit to the secondary, I highly recommend transfering to a tertiary carboy. Adding fruit takes several transfers to clear the beer so it doesn't look like sludge.

Forrest

Back