Wheat beer criticism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbage78

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to brew a new recipe I came up with for a wheat beer and I thought I'd run it past you guys, you guys never fail to pick out the weak points and recommend some improvements so here it goes:

5 gallon batch, 1.047 OG 18 IBU

5.00 lbs American 2-row
2.00 lbs Flaked Wheat
1.75 lbs White Wheat Malt
0.25 lbs Honey Malt
0.25 lbs Flaked Oats
0.75 oz Cascade (60 min)
1.00 oz Corriander
1.00 oz Sweet Orange Peel
0.50 oz Bitter Orange Peel
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast

I plan to mash at 150 F. I don't really know if that's too much corriander or orange peel, I've only really used sweet orange peel, so maybe you can give me your opinion on my amounts and when i should introduce the corriander/orange peel during the boil.

I feel like the .25 lbs. of flaked oats is kind of unnecessary personally, but probably wouldn't hurt anything. Considering you're using wheat and some flaked wheat at that it just seems like it probably isn't doing much.

As far as spices a full oz. of coriander might be a little much, but I feel like the other stuff is probably fine. I also don't brew this kind of beer often so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Hopefully others who do this kind of thing chime in soon.

Anyhow, good luck! :mug:

This is a confusing recipe. What is it you want to make? It's german hefe yeast, belgian wit grain bill, and american hops. If that's your intent that's fine, but are you trying to make a particular style of beer?

Yeah I'm not really trying to go for a classic recipe just kind of trying to mix things up, I see what you mean about the oats and i think you're right. Its so easy to get carried away with your grain bill lol

All you wheat beers are the same. Unmotivated, lacking clarity and overly mouthy.

What exactly does that even mean? It almost seems like you're making the claim that you know me and my brewing history.

Could you please explain your previous post because I'm totally confused.

I think it's a joke. You asked for your wheat beer recipe to be criticized, so they did :p

Regarding the sweet orange, I can not tell you how much, but I used the equivalent of 1 orange/gallon of peel, with all white pith sliced off (read, papery thin peel) in a hefe. The orange peel was put in for the last ten minutes of the boil. Tasting shows that while in the kettle and after the orange aroma is intense, once bottled the finished product produces an orange flavor on the finish, but the pils/wheat malt still dominated in comparison.

Hope it helps.

Back