Wheat beer and apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billorly

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a pretty simple wheat beer: 6lb 2-row, 5.5lb white wheat, and .5lb carapils with 1oz cascade (60 min) plus adding half a gallon of apple cider into the fermenter with the wort.

Has anyone tried something similar to this? I'm curious to see how it affects the flavour other than obviously drying it out a bit.

My only advice would be to use a yeast strain that has a high alcohol tolerance, as it is going straight in to established strength. I guess it would be quite dry, and I would also assume the end result would be very tart. Be interesting to hear how this turns out.

Assuming that you mean hard cider, you could add the cider in a secondary fermenter, or into the primary after fermentation has finished. That way, the yeast has already been able to make your wheat beer, and won't be affected by a sudden rise in alcohol content.

Assuming that you mean sweet cider, a half gallon is going to contribute about half a pound or so of sugar. You could add it to a secondary fermenter, after pasteurizing it, to retain the apple flavor.

I was planning on using sweet cider. Looks like the secondary would be a best option. Just was hoping it wouldn't dry it out too much.

I was planning on using sweet cider. Looks like the secondary would be a best option. Just was hoping it wouldn't dry it out too much.

Any comments on how it turned out?
was considering trying this as the peach wheat I made turned out fine, albeit not much peachy flavour on it.

Back