What's your profession?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been three years, but greatly enjoyed that cafe (best we visited on the mall). The museum itself is very tastefully done and informative. My wife (Cherokee that did a minor in Native American studies) was expecting to be disappointed or outright offended could not say enough good things about the place.
Glad you and your wife enjoyed it! Wish I could say I was there years ago making the delicious food but I've only been there for 2 years haha. If you're ever back in town be sure to stop by again. Over the past year or so we've taken an approach to make the cafe just as much of an exhibit that helps tell the story as a dining experience. Plus you're going to get price gouged anywhere you go in DC so you might as well get some dishes you wont see often :)

Somebody MAY have been awarded a participation prize...does not a problem solver make - did not intend to anger "you people" :;):
Just relating the facts and my experience over several decades in electronics / broadcasting / networking fields.
If someone has a "participation award" and is OK with that and their employer is OK with that...no need to get defensive - bumble and blabble on...

Some of us expect and require more...
Next...

Let me explain this simply:

None of the following:

Not to insult, but, the term "engineer" is one of the most abused words.
Idiots with degrees (I have met, worked with and fired plenty) are not "engineers" - they are idiots - no matter their level of "education"

Education / parchment / school does NOT equate capability nor intellengence.

A degreed moron - is just a moron with a degree.

We have all seen: idiot lawyers, incompetent doctors, moronic politicians, incapable "engineers", buffoons as programmers and developers - the list goes on and on...eduation does NOT equate intellengence nor capablity.

is untrue in and of itself.

However, the fact that you felt the need to say it, here and now, in the context of this thread, with no apparent prompting, defies comprehension unless read as a fairly broad, and completely unsubstantiated, accusation/insult aimed at those present generally, "you know who you are" style. That's what people are responding to.

If you weren't intending to insult those posting in the thread, in a blanket fashion, perhaps you might consider what point making this statement in this context could conceivably serve.

Not to insult, but, the term "engineer" is one of the most abused words.
Idiots with degrees (I have met, worked with and fired plenty) are not "engineers" - they are idiots - no matter their level of "education"

Education / parchment / school does NOT equate capability nor intellengence.

A degreed moron - is just a moron with a degree.

We have all seen: idiot lawyers, incompetent doctors, moronic politicians, incapable "engineers", buffoons as programmers and developers - the list goes on and on...eduation does NOT equate intellengence nor capablity.

Locomotive engineer ...don't need no education 4 that

I have posted before, but I wanted to post pics from a little internal research project.

~900kVDC impulse applied to a generic Nutty Bar. Why? Because we were bored.

DSC_5421.jpg

I'm an Optometrist. I specialize in medically necessary contact lenses for corneal disease and post-surgical applications.

Director of EAM consulting... which really means I teach, consult, staff, listen to problems, occasionally solve problems, and don't brew enough
Previously - maintenance manager at a oat plant, system engineer at a nuclear plant, Navy nuclear officer, bartender, dishwasher, butchers assistant, stockboy, farm hard

Professional gigolo with a month backlog. Btw, I'm seeking an assistant if anybody is interested in servicing wealthy, attractive women. Pay is commensurate with experience.

I'm a dispatcher for a trucking company that services the Seattle & Tacoma ports. And that explains how I'm on HBT a lot during the day...about 3 hours of hard work stretched over 9 hours gives me a LOT of free time. Fortunately the company is quite lenient with the internet so no worries there. And I'm damn good at what I do.

Oncology Nurse 3 days a week, Pool installer 3-4 days a week April-Nov, father, occasional husband... dreams of being a part time brewery assistant in the fall and winter but my wife would kill me and part time and professional brewing don't mix.

Not a bad gig there, Denny! I'm a process engineer, so if I venture off into unnecessary geekery, blame it on my life's work.

Robotics and automation design engineer. Former commercial pilot and flight training center owner.

When I first answered I was an audio engineer. Now I write books and produce podcasts about beer and travel around the world talking about it. Not a bad retirement gig!

Hey Denny, what were you doing as an audio engineer? Studio work? Live sound?

It seems that I responded to this thread some time ago, but I'll say it again for the record...

By day I'm an acoustician - I generally work with architects when they are designing theaters, concert halls, auditoriums, recording or broadcast studios, or with owners of apartments, hotels, or similar facilities, when they don't want neighbors to hear each other. I also design AV systems for these types of places (not the hotels or apartments).

Nights and weekends I run sound at the local school district Performing Arts Center. The pay is not as good as the day job, and the hours suck, but I love interacting with talented musicians and actors (we get touring acts in addition to the school-age kids). They also have a pretty active internship program, and it's great working with the high schoolers who are interested in running sound and the behind-the-scenes aspects of the theater and live music world; this is probably the most rewarding part of the job.

I also do some freelance audio recording, typically bringing my gear to a live performance and often working under a videographer.

I used to be one of two sawyers on a Hotshot crew in Colorado but after 8 years of punishing my body, my back gave out so I got an Associates degree to become a lineman. Come to find out, line work is a LOT harder to come across than I expected it to be so I am currently unemployed. Thank GOD SWMBO is a NICU nurse and is allowing me to be 'house husband' for a while...I ranked really high on the Unions 'out the door' list, so, fingers crossed that I can start tearing my body apart again...I don't guess there are any Lineman on here looking for an apprentice?!

Still in IT. The "cloud" keeps re-inventing the stuff I've been doing for years. Not sure I'll ever be able to retire... Kudos to Denny for doing so in such a cool way!

Hey Denny, what were you doing as an audio engineer? Studio work? Live sound?

It seems that I responded to this thread some time ago, but I'll say it again for the record...

By day I'm an acoustician - I generally work with architects when they are designing theaters, concert halls, auditoriums, recording or broadcast studios, or with owners of apartments, hotels, or similar facilities, when they don't want neighbors to hear each other. I also design AV systems for these types of places (not the hotels or apartments).

Nights and weekends I run sound at the local school district Performing Arts Center. The pay is not as good as the day job, and the hours suck, but I love interacting with talented musicians and actors (we get touring acts in addition to the school-age kids). They also have a pretty active internship program, and it's great working with the high schoolers who are interested in running sound and the behind-the-scenes aspects of the theater and live music world; this is probably the most rewarding part of the job.

I also do some freelance audio recording, typically bringing my gear to a live performance and often working under a videographer.

Both...for 30 years I owned and ran a post production studio doing audio for film, video, and radio. I was also the head engineer at a large performing arts facility here. Now I have a small studio in my guest room to produce podcasts about beer.

I like how your profession has progressed, Denny. From someone that has the passion but never had the opportunity to work in the industry

Quite frankly, I found that turning your passion into your job for 30 years sucks. After having to be creative and write music on a deadline, to this day I don't enjoy listening to music.

I work for a major oil company you have all heard of. Probably use their gas stations at some point. I am a pumper, the guy in the field at the wellhead bringing the gas and oil out of the ground and sending it down the pipeline.

Latest posts

Back