What's your local going price for 50lbs of 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been involved in local group buys were we get together and buy grain, hops, and yeast in bulk. 2-row was around $23/sack (we purchased 160 sacks).

It's amazing how cheap beer is when done this way. People always ask how much it costs to make beer. Not including equipment, a 4% lightly hopped lager (to compare it the beer that most people know), ends up costing approximately 8-10 cents a pint once you factor in grain, hops, and yeast.

Kal

$46 for 50# bag of US 2-row. $49 for a 55# bag of canadian 2-row.

six one, half a dozen the other.

$59 For American 2 Row
$69 For British 2-Row

Most of the time I just order a few bags from AHBS (Free Shipping) and then I can get a few random things I've been needing to get and didn't run all the way to the LHBS to get. If the LHBS had reasonable prices on base malt then they would have almost all of my homebrew type business. Oh well...

Does that connection involve the grain "falling off the truck"? I know a local brewery here pays more than $20/bag for their GW 2-row.

Just depends on the brewery and it's volume. The joe-blow 500bbls (if they're luck) a year brewery down the road from me would certain be paying more for their grain than a brewery doing 5000bbls per year. The more they buy, the more bulk the package (silos for instance) the cheaper it gets. It isn't un-heard of for a brewery to be paying $12 or $14 for 50#.
I know I'm paying $50 for 50# of Rahr 2-row from a shop 2.5 hours away, and at this point am fed up paying it. I'm trying to work with my freight companies to see if there is a way I can get the grain from my brewery hook ups such that it is cheaper.
My last 200# of grain (50# xtra dark, 50# aromatic, 100# munich) "fell of a truck" when I took the 24 hour road trip, but I'm not doing that to my car (or myself) again.

Any one know of some good sources around Salt Lake City or Fort Collins?

No, it is all very legit. I've seen multiple posts here of people buying a 50# bag for $28, so I don't see why a brewery wouldn't be in that $20 range.

Yep. Considering MoreBeer sells their sacks of GW for $33 (my local source), I don't see why a large brewery ordering pallets of grain at a time directly from a distributor wouldn't get it for what B3's cost is.

Back