What's your latest brewing mistake! Rookies and Pros---

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey-BB

Reaction score
I'm definately not a pro-- but not a rookie either--
I seem to F**K up something Every once and a while---
Last time I screwed up I managed to toss my two VERMONT ale giga yeast packets into my 110* star/San bucket for about 45 mins.....and my heady topper clone was waiting about 24 hours for a substitute yeast.
Yup the beers were flowing....
I know I can't be the only dum dum on here-!

I fermented a barley wine at 68F only to wake up and find that my Notty had taken things up to 82 F. Jet fuel...I had to dump all 4 gallons.

Thank you for sharing...
I learned something from that...
I guess we all learn the hard way.
Hopefully this thread can save some of us from making the same mistakes---

started my boil, sat on the couch. hour went by and my girlfriend is like "hey why are the hops still on the counter?" needless to say that was a longer then expected brew day with a 2 hour boil, turned out fine lol.

I think it is time to admit that my BIAB bag's holes on the bottom are too big and i should filter my wort before the boil somehow because i get all kinds of grain particles in my boils and sometimes i notice some astringency in my beers.

My first extract with addition of grains recipe. I forgot a grain bag and substituted a loosely woven tea towel. Dumped a bunch of grain into the pot and decided I would strain it into another pot. I proceeded to dump part of it all over my stove. Fermenting now and I think it'll be ok

My first extract with addition of grains recipe. I forgot a grain bag and substituted a loosely woven tea towel. Dumped a bunch of grain into the pot and decided I would strain it into another pot. I proceeded to dump part of it all over my stove. Fermenting now and I think it'll be ok

Yup, just had to google tea towel.

my brother wanted to learn to brew.

Over a few dozen pints I explained some concepts and walked him throught he process. With twinkle in the eye and hops on breath we where ready. My brother with his paint by numbers kit brew and me with my simple extract recipe I whipped up just for the purpose. It was brew time, it was on and it was going perfect.

Then we smoked one and suddenly it went all wrong. We had a plan, I remember that much. The extract was done, in the bucket, yeast pitched. It all went so smoothly that I cannot forget, perhaps too smoothly I remember thinking to myself. Something was coming, something bad. It was my brothers turn. The bladder of liquid malt stickiness needed to make it to the boiling pot. Him positioned in a chair holding the baldder, me with the boiling pot ready for him to decant the precious malt. Then suddenly with a squeeze a stream of golden goodness flew over my head hit the cupboards and cascaded over the entire kitchen.

We where drunk and stoned enough that Adam sandler's big daddy newspaper absorbtion technique was the obvious solution to this ridiculous mess. The next morning I woke up to a kitchen fulll of newspapper stuck to every inch of my floor. For Shame

The mistake i seem to make over and over is pounding too many down while brewing.
Needless to say things get a bit sloppy toward the end. Last time, the next day the brew pot hadn't even been rinsed.
However, the beers always seem to turn out good, so far. :)

Brewed an extract batch with specialty grains with my roommate. Everything went smoothly, smelled great, hit all the hop additions on time. We even cooled it in an ice bath that didn't take all night. Siphoned to the carboy, shook carboy for a few minutes and pitched the yeast. We even cleaned everything that night! Best brewday to date. Next morning I'm making my lunch and what do I see, the plastic jug holding 8 pounds of LME that was supposed to be in that beer. Boiled up water, mixed in LME, cooled and added to carboy. Beer turned out just fine.

Back