What's your favorite hoppy beer/ipa bittering hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
My hoppy beers aren't coming out bitter enough. Even at 100ibus they seem way too smooth. I think its because I'm using magnum to bitter.
My city water profile is outdated from 2012 but it says our sulfate is 2-10ppm. That might also be part of the problem.

Anyways I want some opinions on what to use to get a more harsh bitterness in my ipas. I don't have any commercial beers to compare to in mind. Just more earthy/harsh bitterness that makes bmc lovers quiver.

I want to buy the Hops book from my lhbs but with the holidays I'm kinda tapped and was looking for help from the hbt crowd.

I've found super galena to provide a sharp bitterness to my hoppy American Ales. I've also got a decent hop jolt from nugget.

I've found Chinook to be too mellow for these types of beers.

Then again your water profile could use some sulfate adjustments to coax some extra hoppyness.

I was under the impression that IBUs were IBUs but I brewed a dipa that was about 97 or so and didn't come out right.

Any suggestions for the bump in sulfate

I was under the impression that IBUs were IBUs but I brewed a dipa that was about 97 or so and didn't come out right.

Any suggestions for the bump in sulfate

Bring the sulfate to 250-300 ppm if you want that strong hops bitterness. Also, what is your magnesium level? I don't like a lot of magnesium, but some people swear that bringing that up a bit will make a nice firm bitterness in IPAs.

Ok so add some gypsum and try something like nugget.

I should probably just start tasting commercial Ipas and looking at their hop schedules.

I like Widmer ipas and I know they use a mix of magnum, horizon and warrior.

Any other suggestions?

I've used either / or in different brews, never mixed at 60...which wouldn't be a bad idea. You can also try and boil for 75 or 90 min to add bitterness.

My lhbs doesn't have calypso on the website and they're really good about updating the website.

I think what ill do is both adding gypsum and doing some 1 gal batches with different bittering hops.
I live in the PNW and we all know what cascade smells and tastes like so if I keep the grain bill the same and keep the late hops the same just change the bittering hop, I should be able to get a feel for what I want.

I'm kinda partial to Columbus for bittering at FWH in my IPAs and I always use Gypsum to raise my sulfate levels to 300 to 350. This provides a nice sharp bitterness.

Ok I think ill do some 1 gal batches over the next few months.
84% two row
9% Munich (us 20l)
7% caramel wheat just for color and head retention

Then ill do
1/10oz cascade at 10, 5
1/5oz at flame out and one week dry hop.

Bitter to about 40ibus with
Magnum
Nugget
Galena
Ctz
Apollo

Im not a huge hop head either, but when I'm in the mood I really enjoy a good hoppy pale/india pale ale

Back