What's your definition of a "BIG" brew day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8er79

Reaction score
This Saturday will be my biggest brew day.

• Boil two 5 gal. extract batches
  • Bottle two 5 gal. batches
  • Rack two 5 gal. batches

I would like to know what some of you guys have taken on in one day.:rockin:

There are a lot of people, myself included, who do two all-grain batches on one brew day. However, I suspect that unless you're incredibly efficient, doing your boils in parallel, or sanitizing your bottles ahead of time, the bottling is going to make for a really, really long day on top of the two extract batches.

I've bottled two batches in one day before, and that just wasn't fun. I'd hate to think of brewing two batches as well.

Multiple people brewing multiple batches through the day with some bottling and kegging thrown in for fun:mug:

The biggest day to date was a 40 gallon day with 8 brewers and we are now planning something for Craft Brew Week and the AHA big brew day-gonna be fun!

I have done 2 extract batches and bottled 2 batches back to back and made dinner in between, took me a little over 6 hrs. now that I have moved to AG not sure i will try making 2 batches back to back but last week i made a wheat beer and bottled 2 batches.

My buddies and I did an all grain batch, an extract batch, bottled a 5 gallon batch of beer and a 5 gallon batch of wine in an afternoon pretty comfortably. That was with three of us working on it.

The most I have done is 2 back to back 12 gallon batches and racked from two 15 gal fermenters to kegs on the same day.

I have 2 mashtuns, so I mashed in on one as the other was running off. It helps to have an elec HLT at this point, so the 170 water could go to either mash tun. When the boil of beer 1 is done, I would rinse it out and start running off the second beer into the kettle.

My plan is to do 3 this spring, each beer being 1.5 hours after the one before it. 2 mashtuns and plenty of grain makes you pretty efficient. I can only ferment 36 gallons at once so that will be my limit.

Up to this point I have only done two in one day, however five of us are going to a beet festival May 5, after which we are coming back to my place with our combined brewing equipment (only two of us have all the gear needed), and doing parallel double batches, so 4 batches in one day. The only weak point in the plan is we're going to beer fest first... Last time we went and tried to brew 2 batches, we didnt take any readings on the second batch and couldn't remember if we pitched the yeast when we woke up (we did). Its going to be a pretty epic day. My pants are a little tight just thinking about it.

Yeesh. The busiest day I've had is a boiling a 5 gallon extract batch and bottling 5 gallons on the same day. It was nice to have something to do during the boil and to be able to re-use the starsan bucket. But when I was done all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and drink beer.

Mike

3 AG batches is the most I have ever done. Went pretty smoothly actually. I've done a double batch, double bottle but will never do that again. Alone, it was NOT relaxing as my normal brew days are.

I almost always try for a double brew day

The way a double batch overlaps, it only adds about an hour and a half. The second batch is mashing while the first boils. So it's basically longer by an additional boil/cool cycle. I've only done it once (two 5G), and I was pretty beat at the end, but it was cool!

The larger the batch size, the less time consuming it is. I have a 30 gal set up and a 5 gal set up. I've done (3) 5 gal batches in one day and it took longer than (1) 30 gal batch split into two boils.

Back