whats with the bottle hype?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a good,bottle conditioned beer is not only classical,it's very clear & natural tasting. Imo,kegging is a quick work around to get to the home brew faster. In that light,it is not better,since less aging takes place. That's one thing I get tired of repeating nearly everyday. you're not just carbonating the beer. You're aging it as well. Never loose sight of that just to get to the beer faster. As I said in my video,this is home made craft beer. It isn't hooch...we don't hurry.
This sermon is ended,go in peace...

And yet it still comes down to preference. While you believe it tastes best one way, not everyone will. You can age in a keg just fine. And many of us perfer the taste of kegged beer in any state. Also some beers are better fresh regardless of bottled or kegged. not to mention other methods of aging in both primary and secondary that don't really matter past that point.

Sooooo many ways to do it. And what works for one person doesn't always work for another. That's why both methods are viable, both have positives and negatives, and complete opposition to either method is either silly or arrogant.

I don't drink too many high alcohol beers, but sometimes, I make certain styles that are high alcohol by nature. I like to bottle those so that they don't back up my "pipeline" when I only drink 1-2 a week. I'll also bottle if I know a lot of the batch is going to be brought to a party or event. I don't like bringing kegs out of the house. I did it once and I wasn't happy with how it was shaken up and took fiddling to get the pours correct.

Of course the initial cost and setup can be limiting.
I don't know of homebrewer that amortizes their equipment cost into the cost of their beer. It's ingredients only. For kegging, the equipment is another expenditure much like brew kettles and such, but once you have it, it's cheaper.

When I started kegging in Corny kegs, I bought the CO2 tank, regulator, tower and faucet for $30 used. I found a 4.5 cubic foot mini fridge in the paper for $50 from a restaurant that was going out of business.

If someone is going out and buying new kegging equipment for the major components, they're missing the point. Plenty of used equipment around for great prices.

Haven't read through all of the 5 pages of replies, but it comes down to preference. I bottle, and probably won't ever actually keg.

Cost is an issue; I need a keg for every batch, and as I have Belgian ales aging and the like it would be a lot of kegs. I have no space for a fridge dedicated entirely for kegs.

I also like to be able to share and spread my beers, and having a keg makes that difficult. If there is only 4 bottles left in a keg then I still am using an entire keg's worth of space.

Bottling is cheap for me, I re-use bottles, so I don't have to really buy new bottles. And bottling is quick, as I have the process down, and is therapeutic. I brew with friends, so at the end of the day I can give a 6 pack to my buddy, a 6 pack to my dad, etc. Hard to divvy up a keg!

Long story short; Bottling works great for me and others. Kegging for other folks. It all has to do with the way you plan to enjoy and share your beer, as well as the space and equipment you have.

I keg most of my stuff.

1. Lot easier to keg then mess around with cleaning out the bottles, and less space consuming. (SWMBO appreciates the lack of dirty bottles too)

2. Good friend of mine gave me most of the high cost items (co2 tank w/ regulator, tap w/ handle, and sankey coupler) for the cost of buying him a pint.

3. Found a local bar where the owner will give me a corney keg whenever I come in and buy a couple pints (which I would probably drink anyway) if he has them available.

That just leaves me with trying to find a chest freezer in my area that I can convert for taps and fermenting lagers. As it is now I have to store it in my basement and then put it in my food chest freezer for a little bit before I pour.

And yet it still comes down to preference. While you believe it tastes best one way, not everyone will. You can age in a keg just fine. And many of us perfer the taste of kegged beer in any state. Also some beers are better fresh regardless of bottled or kegged. not to mention other methods of aging in both primary and secondary that don't really matter past that point.

Sooooo many ways to do it. And what works for one person doesn't always work for another. That's why both methods are viable, both have positives and negatives, and complete opposition to either method is either silly or arrogant.

It's neither sill nor arrogant in any way from me. It's rather the opposite. Bottles take up about the same space as kegging equipment when you take into account all the extra kegs one needs for ones own pipeline. Kegged beer also doesn't develop as fine a head,being force carbed,than bottle conditioning. Aging in bottles would be easier & cheaper,as no co2 pressure has to be kept on a bottle to keep it sealed away from air. There are many reasons for bottling discussed here,so I won't bother to re-iterate. If you like having a tap to pour your beer,fine. It's too much outlay for the return to me. More of a novelty,imo. That's opinion not arrogance.

I'm pretty useless mechanically so I'd probably figure out a way to screw it up and end up with beer all over in my fridge. That and I don't have room for it. If I had the room, I would use my party pig since I already own it.

Otherwise, I think it's a great idea. I know with the party pig it holds pressure for a limited time before the beer starts to oxidize and goes a little flat. I don't know if there is a time limit on those kegs and how long they hold pressure before they start to either oxidize or go flat. I haven't looked into it too much. If they will go flat that quickly then that's probably a reason to use regular kegs instead.

The only carbonation issues I found with the tap a draft mini kegs is when you first tap a conditioned mini and don't use a cartridge, has enough pressure for about half the volume but after that if you don't plan on drinking it within the next day it will loose freshness and carbonation. Also, when I was anxious to tap a mini that hadn't been primed long enough. I thought that the cartridges would be enough for it to be palatable. I used two cartridges in a cold conditioned mini, it had good pressure the first day and decent beer, but because I think the majority of the co2 was absorbed into the beer I had a carbonated beer, but not good pressure and didn't last as long. If I were to force carb with the cartridges it would probably take 3 or 4 but I would rather prime with sugar and let condition for carbonation, then just use the cartridge for pressure reasons and freshness.

If anyone has any questions about reusing tap a draft mini kegs just ask me, I've been using these for awhile now.

IMO, both are options... I'll probably end up bottling BIG brews that will benefit more from it, or that I want to stock away for later. Not to say that I'll carbonate with sugars there though. I like the control I get with carbonating via gas.

BTW, you CAN have the best of both worlds, carbonating batches in kegs, then bottling from those kegs and keeping them around for the long term. Once you have the desired carbonation level (so much easier to fine tune in keg) you just bottle it up (Bowie Bottler and wand is one easy option) and set them aside. You now don't need to worry about uneven carbonation, or bottle bombs developing.

As for the head from kegged brew, you can get the same as from bottles, IF you chose to. Use a faucet like the Perlic 575 'Creamer' and you'll get the head you wish in glass. Get the stainless version and it's something you can pass down to your children. You can also put brews on beer gas, getting the infamous cascade effect and rich, thick, head (like you get from a properly poured Guinness).

IF you don't rush your brews through the process before bottling/kegging, then they'll be identical in bottle/keg. Since I go with the long primary method, my brews are ready for drinking as soon as they are carbonated (the ones that don't NEED extended aging). I'm more of a mind to let a brew age in batch form and then bottle it when it's actually ready. IMO, that's better than bottling earlier and having to wait for them to bottle condition/age before they're really good/great. I have enough vessels to ferment/age in that it's not an issue for me.

Also, it's been documented that brews age better at lower temperatures (more stable). So having a keg in the keezer/kegorator/brew fridge for aging (IMO) makes a lot of sense. I intend to do that with the next big brews I make (over 10%). I'll purge them of air, with CO2, and then leave them disconnected from the gas system. I won't be looking to carbonate the brews at that time. Later, once it's ready for consuming, I'll carbonate to the level I desire and put it on tap. OR bottle it up. OR both...

Personally, I like having the flexibility to do either/both methods. I'm NOT pushing my brews from grain to glass, accelerating the time frame by rapid force carbonating. IMO, when done RIGHT, both are valid choices across the board. Neither is 100% the best method. If YOU chose to use just one, good for you, just don't diss people that choose to use both, or the other.

In the end, serve out of whatever you wish. If you only aspire to bottle your brews, forever, then go for it. I'm sure you'll be happy with that. I've seen enough posts where people are whining about bottling a couple of 10 gallon batches in a day/weekend. If you wish to use kegs, just remember that SOME brews will be better in bottle. Or easier to gift that way. Having a way to do both is of value. Just pick the containment method that fits the brew.

I would love to try kegging, but I just can't justify the cost at this time. I can't say I love the process of bottling beer, but there is something rewarding about producing 50+ bottles of beer that you can share with friends.

I didn't know about bottling from a keg. That does sound like it gives you the best of both worlds. I used to think I would keg half of a batch and bottle the other half, but bottling as needed would be the way to go.

I like building things, so if and when I give kegging a try, I will most likely build a kegerator from a fridge of some sort. I'll have to search this forum. I'm sure there are many threads on the subject.

It's neither sill nor arrogant in any way from me. It's rather the opposite. Bottles take up about the same space as kegging equipment when you take into account all the extra kegs one needs for ones own pipeline. Kegged beer also doesn't develop as fine a head,being force carbed,than bottle conditioning. Aging in bottles would be easier & cheaper,as no co2 pressure has to be kept on a bottle to keep it sealed away from air. There are many reasons for bottling discussed here,so I won't bother to re-iterate. If you like having a tap to pour your beer,fine. It's too much outlay for the return to me. More of a novelty,imo. That's opinion not arrogance.

Yeah like I said, different strokes for different folks. Positives and negatives both ways...Doesn't work for you but it works for others, and that is ok.

And also like already said, the complete opposition to either method is silly or arrogant. This is due to the positives and negatives both ways. It's not a personal attack on your ego, and having an opinion and being arrogant are not mutually exclusive. Fact is really, for at least the third time now, there are pluses and minuses for both. If bottling exclusively works for you that is great, but it doesn't magically negate all the positives I find in kegging. That's why I both keg and bottle, and I'm ok with it ;)

I have 5 brews to bottle in the next few weeks. I have four batches bottle conditioning, and another 4 or 5 batches that I am drinking. That is a lot of bottles, but when I want a beer, I go down stairs and put one in the fridge for a day (actually, I have a bunch in the fridge already). When someone asks for a few beers to take home, I simply give then a few beers to take home.

In order to keg, I would need something like 14 - 15 kegs, and then a few coolers for all my beer, plus all the equipment - and on and on. It is just easier to bottle, and I find bottling somewhat relaxing.

I keg most of my beer, and I always run off at least a dozen bottles from the keg using my $2 counterpressure bottling wand. It's the best of both worlds, really.

As far as cost, I got into kegging for the $50 cost of 2 corny kegs and some hose. I got a fridge for free, so I only have to pay electricity there, and I found 3 20# CO2 tanks on Craigslist for $75. I sold two, which made me enough to buy a couple fills for the (free) tank I had left over. The first fill lasted me a year, even with using CO2 for other things.

Win-win.

I find it interesting that several people have said that kegging takes up too much space. IMO, it takes up less space than bottling.

Between all the equipment necessary for bottling (especially if you brew sours!) and hundreds of bottles, kegging is pretty damn space-efficient. 5 gallons of beer takes up a lot more space in bottles than in a single keg, and if you fill a keezer with kegs, the extra space used up by it isn't really all that significant.

Kegging also has a ton of other benefits, many of which have been mentioned here.

I don't even keg yet - getting the discretionary income for both a kegging AND a HERMS setup takes a bit of time, and I prefer to spring for high quality the first time around. But I know many people that do, and I'm currently in the process of obtaining what I need. But the bottling process feels like a total chore to me. It has NOTHING to do with "getting my beer faster"... that's a ridiculous and even somewhat condescending supposition.

All that being said, I presently cap AND cork bottles, and I plan to keep doing so for some beers. And the corking will probably even become more frequent than capping once I start kegging, because in addition to bottling from the keg for beers I want to take somewhere, give away, or enter into competition, there are some styles which benefit quite a bit from bottle conditioning - such as Belgians and sours. And then there's the fact that natural cork "character" is pretty much considered crucial to an authentic Bière de Garde, and other farmhouse styles.

So some styles I don't plan to ever stick in a keg. But most styles will be pretty much served exclusively from a keg. Heck, kegging will even give me the ability to filter the beers that I want to filter - which is actually ESPECIALLY useful if you bottle, for the times you know that you or someone else will really just want to drink straight from the bottle.

Bottom line is that both methods have their own unique advantages, and some situations or even entire styles will benefit a lot more from one or the other. The only thing a person accomplishes by playing favorites is restricting themselves... there's nothing to gain from it. I can respect that some people simply can't reasonably spend the money for a suitable kegging setup, but beyond that, there really isn't a good reason (or should I say excuse) to limit oneself like that.

I don't consider bottling to be limiting myself. Too much money for me,being retired. But I have read on here,one member in particular,that said "I wanna get to my beers" in regard to kegging vs bottling.
That just sounded like It was just hooch or something. If you like kegging for whatever reason,that's fine. I just got to where bottling is easy & a relaxing part of brewing. I demonstrate that in my videos in my profile. I guess it does come down to "to each his own" here. No sense making enemies or slurring others over it. We just get a little too passionate about our beliefs sometimes.
This subject is one of them.:mug:

All I can say is it takes me 10 minutes to rack into a keg and put it on pressure. I let it "age" for about a month that way.

I started out bottling and I would also argue there is nothing wrong with bottling. However my opinion did change once I started kegging.

Having a wife and son, time is more important than the cost of the kegging supplies. I do realize cost is one of the largest factors with getting into kegging.

But I personally can say kegging tastes way better than bottle priming. THIS IS JUsT MY OPINION. Plus I can Fill about a case from the keg in 10 minutes for mobility.

I mean I used to spend 1.5 hours bottling a 5 gallon batch. Now I can bottle a 5 gallon batch from a keg in under a half hour if I wanted.

400-500 bucks? Here's one for 159:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/12015/102298/Basic_Homebrew_Draft_System_-_Pin_Lock

Now that IS before tax but the shipping is free. Also have to consider there is a price involved with fillng up the Co2 container....comparable to the priming sugar and extra time cleaning a bunch of bottles, maybe? In any case a far cry from 400-500 bucks.

That is ONE keg. no fridge, then you want the multiple tap kegerator with temperature control, more kegs for conditioning larger beers = 400-500 bucks.

I'm waiting to hit the Powerball then I'll get that, until then it is bottling for me.

Apologies if my title was misleading. I asked not because of its "new, hipster" feel, but because I am new to brewing. I was legitimately looking for some insight. I dig the idea of being able to pull an older HB bottle off a shelf and reminisce about its greatness :p, and also the idea of bottling from keg. Thanks! (clink!):mug:

No fault of yours, its just how things develop around here sometimes. The more "beer advocate-y" among us seem to argue things that about other people's processes that will never affect them at all...

Sounds like you would find benefits to doing both. Remember, bottling and kegging are not mutually exclusive. Its not like you have to trade in all of your bottling equipment when you start kegging. The ONLY answer to your question is that you should do what works best for you.

:mug:

Would be nice to keg
But going to the basment for a draft seemsa bit silly when i can fill up the free space in the fridge with bottles

And getting a used corny for 100$ is rare here

That is ONE keg. no fridge, then you want the multiple tap kegerator with temperature control, more kegs for conditioning larger beers = 400-500 bucks.

I'm waiting to hit the Powerball then I'll get that, until then it is bottling for me.

If the cash is the only thing keeping you from kegging, just keep scoping out ebay / craigslist. There's always someone getting out of the hobby. A while back, I picked up 7 kegs, a 5 lb CO2 tank, regulator, faucets, shanks, and various plumbing bits for $100. He wanted me to take the fridge, too, but I already had one converted. I had to put another 30 bucks into O-rings and a couple of posts, but it was still a pretty good deal.

For me it is all about space. In my apartment, I don't have room for a second fridge and I cannot sacrifice space in my main fridge for a keg and CO2. However, I do have plenty of space in my closet for bottles. In fact, I have about five cases of homebrew in there. I can easily put a bunch of bottles in the fridge to always have supplies ready to drink.

Now, when I move to my theoretical house and have a basement, I've already told SWMBO that I will have at least 4 taps. The time saved kegging seems worth it in the long run.

I would love to keg, but right now, I am not able to brew enough to justify the initial cost. Nor do I have space in a 2-bedroom apartment right now to set up a kegging system. Eventually, when we move, I already told my daughter that I want to set up a kegging system. BUT, right now, bottling is fine with me. My 16yo helps me with it and I like that he is actually talking to me during the time. I like that I can just grab a few bottles and give them to friends.

Kegged beer also doesn't develop as fine a head,being force carbed,than bottle conditioning.
Bottle conditioning is force carbonation just like pressurized CO2 is. Both methods force carbon dioxide into solution. One uses plumbing and compressed gas, the other uses sugar and yeast. Head is more of a function of what happens in the mash rather than method of carbonation. Sure you can overcarbonate and have foamy beer just as you can over pitch sugar and get vulcano bottles.
as no co2 pressure has to be kept on a bottle to keep it sealed away from air.
CO2 is kept "on a bottle" by way of the cap which keeps oxygen out of it. With kegging, there is an equilibrium on the system. When I'm done drinking, I flip the check valve closed and don't worry about it.
If you like having a tap to pour your beer,fine.
Yup, it's great. Sometimes I want just a few more ounces before bed but don't want to open a full bottle and have to drink it or recap it. Plus, let's face it, chicks dig it. :D

I bottled my first batch, and used Tap-a-keg for the second. I liked bottling as it was fun to watch the number of bottles increase... but kegging to the mini keg cut the time from 1 hour to 15 minutes. Clean up was easier as well.

I was able to transport the equivalent of just over 17 12 oz bottles in the 1.6 gallon mini keg from NJ to Wisconsin using about as much space as my wife and daughter's toiletry kit (combined)... didn't have to hear the clinking all through Penn, Ohio and Illinois either.

For the next two batches I'll fill 2 kegs for each, and bottle the remainder... or at least thats my plan (I'm trying the carb tabs on my JQ Adams Marblehead).

There's a lot of factors involved. Some people just like the idea of having something on tap and will spend the extra. Just like I like the ability to brew on my brewstand versus the stove top so I spent the extra. Also some people have many opportunities that others do not, being patient and seeking out that special deal. Different costs for different things in different areas. Sorry Mr. Norway I have a friendly counter to your inability to find a corny but the low cost wouldn't offset the shipping out of the country...and that just sucks :(

One keg has served me fine, but again I also bottle. You can upgrade to two taps rather easily especially if you do a little research. Like brewing in general there are always deals to be found if you have the patience and you don't have to buy everything at once. I found a dual gauge regulator for 16 bucks new, another faucet (knobs, shanks, etc) and sanke tap on craigslist for 15 bucks and a used corny for 20 bucks. Now all I need to do is buy new tubing, reconditoin the keg (clean, O-rings, etc.) and magically I have a two tap system and it didn't cost me 400-500 bucks. Oh yeah I'll also have to convert the sanke tap to fit my brother-in-laws ball lock I think. There will be cost involved there as well.

The fridge I also got off craigslist for 40 bucks and I use the freezer section for frosty mugs ;) (and overflow from my wife's costco purchases)

I'm not rich, didn't win the lotto...just saved up for a few months and I was patient about my purchases. Like everything in brewing there's more than one way to do it.

And it all comes down to priorities. For example I have the kegging system that makes me happy, but my computer is 7 years old. And I'm a gamer, that's a really really really really really old computer for a gamer :p

In any case do what works for you. More than anything I'm just sorry that kegging is getting more and more expensive and less people have access to it. A pre-built kegerator can cost 600-800 bucks easy for a single tap and that's not even counting the keg and in some cases not counting the co2 tank either.

Bottle conditioning is force carbonation just like pressurized CO2 is. Both methods force carbon dioxide into solution. One uses plumbing and compressed gas, the other uses sugar and yeast. Head is more of a function of what happens in the mash rather than method of carbonation. Sure you can overcarbonate and have foamy beer just as you can over pitch sugar and get vulcano bottles.

CO2 is kept "on a bottle" by way of the cap which keeps oxygen out of it. With kegging, there is an equilibrium on the system. When I'm done drinking, I flip the check valve closed and don't worry about it.

Yup, it's great. Sometimes I want just a few more ounces before bed but don't want to open a full bottle and have to drink it or recap it. Plus, let's face it, chicks dig it. :D

Force carbing in a keg def is not the same as natural bottle carbing. It builds up from secondary fermentation in a bottle,working with the beer's constituents to produce a finer head/bubbles. It takes a few weeks,as you know. force carbing is just that. totally different.
I use o2 barrier caps & get about the same effects as the keg co2 thing. My views on natural carbonation are shared by many on here. Including some who've done both.:mug: In other words,bottle carbing is more gradual,giving the finer bubbles.

Force carbing in a keg def is not the same as natural bottle carbing. It builds up from secondary fermentation in a bottle,working with the beer's constituents to produce a finer head/bubbles. It takes a few weeks,as you know. force carbing is just that. totally different

Do you have a source for this romantic vision of bottle carbing besides anecdotal experience? As Weizenwerks said, beer head is pretty much determined by the mash and the nature of proteins that make it into the beer.

Do you have a source for this romantic vision of bottle carbing besides anecdotal experience? As Weizenwerks said, beer head is pretty much determined by the mash and the nature of proteins that make it into the beer.

A lot of Belgian/real ale afficionados say there is a difference between priming and force carbonation, so that's probably where the "small bubbles" story comes from. There probably IS a difference, but it's most assuredly not as simplistic as: force carbing = big bubbles, sugar priming = small bubbles.

For myself, I'm happy bottling and don't see how it takes up more space than a kegerator and a few kegs since I very rarely get a pipeline that is more than 2 cases deep. You can basically stash two cases of beer EVERYWHERE: closet, pantry, sex dungeon, beneath the stairs, etc.

No,it's not simplistic as all that. I just simplified it to make things short-n-sweet. Long winded doesn't cut it with most folks. I just notice a bit of difference between force carbed & bottle carbed.

I thought just about everyone started in plastic buckets with bottles... I'm moving to a TAD/RHD system since I have an apartment and there's really not room in my fridge for 4 5 gallon kegs and some system to cool/carb them. But I do hate to bottle, I just don't find corny kegs appealing right now...

I've heard some guys say carb amount/method has nothing to do with head and some say tap = big bubbles and bottle = little bubbles. First of all does bubble size deligate a frothier head and second, if not, what does?

Force carbing in a keg def is not the same as natural bottle carbing. It builds up from secondary fermentation in a bottle,working with the beer's constituents to produce a finer head/bubbles. It takes a few weeks,as you know. force carbing is just that. totally different.
This term "force carbing" is hanging things up. Force carbing is forcing carbon dioxide into a solution. Bottle conditioning is forcing carbon dioxide into a solution. They both are doing the same thing, forcing carbon dioxide into a solution. Different methods doing the same thing. Carbon dioxide dissolved into beer will have the same bubble size whether it's done through kegging or bottle conditioning. Head creation and retention are done in the mash, not the carbonating method. Head is directly related to proteins in the beer.

unionrdr, have you done a side by side test of a beer from the same mash and fermentation, where one is bottle conditioned and one is kegged?

I think of kegging as I thought of a smartphone. I never thought I would need, or even less want one, but when opportunities presented themselves and I got them, I now cannot imagine life without them. With kegging, I get to completely drop my beer clear (a personal preference), dial in my carbonation with more precision, and still retain the ability to bottle if I choose to. I am also a big advocate of the CO2 that comes with the keg and its ability to let you close transfer throughout the packaging process.

Weizenwerks said:
This term "force carbing" is hanging things up. Force carbing is forcing carbon dioxide into a solution. Bottle conditioning is forcing carbon dioxide into a solution. They both are doing the same thing, forcing carbon dioxide into a solution. Different methods doing the same thing. Carbon dioxide dissolved into beer will have the same bubble size whether it's done through kegging or bottle conditioning. Head creation and retention are done in the mash, not the carbonating method. Head is directly related to proteins in the beer.

Very well said. I agree with this statement.

In bottle conditioning,you have to create the "right amount" of final carbonation through priming with the correct amount of sugar that in turn creates the co2 that is forced into solution through fridge time. And yes,dissolved proteins that weren't forced out help make the head. But you need the carbonation to get it to where it is in the final drink.
I'm not attacking anyone's personal preferences,I'm just stating what I've seen for myself. There is some truth to it,& there is some overlap. I just look at bottling as a more "classic" way to do it. All natural,as it were...:mug:

Back