What's up with this crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonS

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently started All-grain brewing so I have started paying more attention to the mills at various homebrew stores in my area. I have noticed my numbers come out much better from one store in particular. I've started researching the crush a little more to understand it better. I recently took some pictures of a kit I ordered online as I have been comparing crushes. I have attached the pictures of grains ordered and marked "milled", however, my efficiency was awful. I essentially have a DIPA that turned out closer to a session beer. Can you tell me what you think of this crush? Is it a poor crush, or is there a possibility that they were incorrectly marked milled? The first two photos are 2-row where you can see a slight crush with one of the bags, but then I have no idea what is up with the rest. Thank you.

20140103_220947.jpg

20140103_221012.jpg

20140103_221024.jpg

20140103_221031.jpg

None of the last ones appear to have been crushed, and the first one barely. Lots of folks have posted pics of their crushed grains, take a look, you'll see what a good crush should be.

I would have a hard time calling that crushed. Maybe send the pics to the online store and see if they can make it right. Best thing to get next would be a mill so you can control the crush.

I've got to agree those crushes were abysmal. Send the pictures and let the online store know how poor their crush is. They need to readjust their mill.

I would recommend re rushing those grains before use if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

That looks awful! Doesn't even looked cracked. I agree on sending photos to the online store

Are they even crushed at all? Horrible!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yup, if you posted those pictures asking the question "Is this milled or unmilled grain?" I would have guessed that it was unmilled. That should tell you how good the "crush" is on those bags.

Even if you do have a store that gives you a decent crush I still think getting your own mill is a worth-while investment. It gives you another level of control over your process.

It may be milled, but it is not milled nearly enough. You could get almost the same results from unmilled grain.

Thank you all for your feedback. That helps confirm the issue was probably the crush and not my process. This was actually the last "pre-milled" kit I had before I start using my own mill. If I would have realized it, I could have ran those through my own mill. I guess this was a learning experience.

You want something like on the right...
Ironically, I recognize this photo off the homebrewfinds site which is the reason I started questioning my kit in the first place. The mill I got was the captain crush so that is how I came across it.

I have reached out to the store to see what they say. I guess it just goes to show no matter how big or small the shop is, always check the crush.

I grind mine pretty fine with the captain crush and this is my last batch. You definitely got a bad set of crashed grains.

1394358555034.jpg

1394358648101.jpg

The UPS driver may have been Dale Earnhardt Jr., but those have almost certainly never been through a mill.

Yeah, no stuck sparges here. I heard back from them and they said the the pictures looked okay but they offered to replace the kit. I'm just happy they are taking care of it. I plan on using my own mill for this next kit.

Often times HBS will do a coarser crush. Whether this is to help prevent stuck sparges (as my LHBS told me when I inquired about their crush) or is a ruse to sell you more grain is a debatable topic.

Yeah, no stuck sparges here. I heard back from them and they said the the pictures looked okay but they offered to replace the kit. I'm just happy they are taking care of it. I plan on using my own mill for this next kit.

What?! They actually saw these pics and think the crush looks ok?! Pray tell what fools said this. It looks uncrushed, and it's a total fail by any reasonable standards.

At any rate, this story has been told hundreds of times on HBT. If these vendors can condition their customers to accept 50% efficiency, they'll sell lots more grain.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back