Whats up with "speed limits" in the NE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually now in PA, if you go 5 miles over the limit they can and will pull you over. I forget the name of the program atm, but it is basically a new push against 'aggressive' drivers. A coworker was pulled over for doing 61 in a 55. The cop proudly announcing that "that is the lowest legal limit I can pull you over for". :D $150 and 2 points.

Yeah I found it: http://www.pasmoothoperator.org/

PROBLEM is that my coworker (a different one) who is close to retiring, well this weekend she was going up a hill, accelerated, and hadn't glanced back down at her speedometer to regulate back down got nailed in a speed trap. This is a woman who pretty much follows the law, and wasn't even going out of her way to speed. There is a big difference (imho) between someone like her, and someone who is cutting in and out of traffic, consistently speeds or races/etc.

As someone who lives in the DC metro region, I can vouch for speed limits meaning absolutely nothing. It's completely normal to do 70+ mph on the beltway, even though the posted speed limit is 55 mph. If, in fact, you DO drive 55 mph, you'd better do so in the far right lane, because you are endangering your life and everyone elses'. I'm not saying everyone should be speeding, but they do, and to maintain a semblance of safety, it's better to at least keep a similar speed.

DC drivers are some of the most aggressive, a$$holish drivers ever, and I am so glad I take the train everyday. I used to get super-stressed driving home everyday from work. Now I take a nap or read a book, and leave the gridlock to everyone else.

Since I still have out of state plates, I resign myself to 10 over at most. So generally I am in the right lane and popping out to just pass people. But the speed limits around here seem to vary quite a lot depending on which specific freeway you happen to be on.

Generally it is safest to keep up with traffic no matter how far over they may be. It is far safer.

I live in Boston, and driving in snow to me is like driving on normal ground, we get so much of it it hardly even registers anymore. About 2 years ago I was driving in DC just after a "freak snowstorm" apparently it doesn't snow that much down there, and half an inch of snow throws people off. I have to say the idiots on the road could not deal with 1/2 an inch of snow I mean come on southerners, it is bad enough that you don't speed, but to do 30 in a 50 because there is a half inch of snow.... and on top of it to have accidents every quarter mile....

We all have summer performance tires on our cars! There is no need for winter tires most of the time. :)

I am particularly fond of the drivers who think that by flashing their highbeams at you, you are required to open the lane for them so they may continue to speed through.

I drive a 3/4 ton truck and don't give a flip so I slow down nd force the *****y to go around.

Once, I was fortunate enough to have a cop in front so when the DB sped around me........Busted! I was more than happy to point my finger at the guy and give him a big grin and a laugh.

If you are traveling in the right lane, I have no problem with this. America really does need to teach its drivers more of the Autobahn rules of driving. The Left lane is for passing. If you are not passing, get the hell out of the left lane. Unless you have a badge and a citation book, it is not your damn job to regulate my speed.

Is that what you would do? Would you assume that your car that is safe at 80 is suddenly safe at 90 because the speed limits were increased? If not, then why do you think others would think this?

As far as I can tell, the whole argument is based on the premise that people are too dumb to realize that an increase in the speed limit doesn't make their cars any safer at higher speed.

I don't think people would think that the increase in the speed limit suddenly makes their car any more or less safe, I don't think people view it that way. I think that the only reason people don't drive faster now is because they don't want to get a speeding ticket, I don't think it has anything to do with safety. Maybe it's because I live in an area where people commonly drive 80 - 90mph and it isn't uncommon to see someone racing down the road at 100mph, but I think if the speed limit was increased people would drive even faster.

If I thought I could drive faster than I do now without getting a whopping ticket, I would. Has nothing to do with how safe I feel. I've gone 100 in my car and felt safe, I don't usually drive that fast though, but if the speed limit was 90, I would.

+1 to sterling214. If I want to drive the speed limit in the left lane, I will. It isn't your damned job to regulate my speed.

I don't think people would think that the increase in the speed limit suddenly makes their car any more or less safe, I don't think people view it that way. I think that the only reason people don't drive faster now is because they don't want to get a speeding ticket, I don't think it has anything to do with safety. Maybe it's because I live in an area where people commonly drive 80 - 90mph and it isn't uncommon to see someone racing down the road at 100mph, but I think if the speed limit was increased people would drive even faster.

If they're doing 90mph that's already a reckless driving ticket, it's already facing jail time if convicted. So... what difference is the law making? You are telling me that the people care enough about the law to only do 35mph over, but they wouldn't dream of doing 45mph over? You really think they're waiting for the speed limit to increase so that they can drive faster?

Here in Illinois, I believe the limit for reckless driving is 20mph over the limit. So I would definitely buy your argument for the guy going 74mph in a 55 (My usual speed). But anybody going faster than that clearly isn't being held back by the law, so I doubt it would make much difference to them.

Now, would I go faster if they raised the speed limits? Yes, slightly so, on certain roads, I would. When roads are clear and fast, I think 85-95mph is the proper speed.

First between St. Louis and Pittsburgh is not New England or even the North East. That's Mid West, Thank You.
I've noticed Freeway speeds around here seem to hover between 75 and 80. It is similar up into New England though the driving is very different. Just spent a week in FL and would much rather drive in OH. In FL there were a large minority doing 65 or under and another large group trying to do 85+, all on congested 8 lane highways. It sure looked to be much more dangerous than the much lower speed differences I usually see.

Craig

The whole way between St. Louis and Pittsburgh I was getting flipped off for only going 10 over whatever posted limit...

If they're doing 90mph that's already a reckless driving ticket, it's already facing jail time if convicted. So... what difference is the law making? You are telling me that the people care enough about the law to only do 35mph over, but they wouldn't dream of doing 45mph over? You really think they're waiting for the speed limit to increase so that they can drive faster?

I agree those doing 90 are probably not worrying about tickets but if most of the traffic is doing 80 then it appears to be unlikely you would get a ticket for doing 80-82. So people tend to stay around that speed. For some cars and drivers that may be the limit they feel safe at but many drivers would go faster if they felt the risk of a ticket was minimal.

Craig

I just drove back from the "Mid West" to the "Northeast," and all the major highways were pretty consistent. Low 70s was the norm, I set the cruise at 74, figuring the risk of a ticket at 9 MPH above the limit was quite minor; I was passing a few more cars than passed me, so I was doing a bit above the median speed. Only a handful of people who were really flying by me, north of 80. Seemed consistent whether I was driving through the cities or out in the middle of nowhere. I know once you get close to Boston, things get a little hairier, but for most of the freeway driving it was all pretty much in a tight range, low- to mid-70s.

I agree those doing 90 are probably not worrying about tickets but if most of the traffic is doing 80 then it appears to be unlikely you would get a ticket for doing 80-82. So people tend to stay around that speed. For some cars and drivers that may be the limit they feel safe at but many drivers would go faster if they felt the risk of a ticket was minimal.

Craig

Let's say hundreds of people all hopped in go karts with a top speed of 40mph and we went to an open track and agreed that someone would be "the cop". If we got pulled over for doing anything more than 10mph, we would have to pay a real fine of actual US Dollars.

So we all go driving around at 10mph, but guess what.. it gets boring after awhile, so some of us start moving a little faster while the cop isn't looking. Then we notice the cop doesn't care if we do 15mph so eventually most folks are doing 15, then 20... Then something happens. A guy does 25mph and doesn't get pulled over and a few others start doing the same.

Now they're tearing around the track at 25mph and everything still seems to be in control. Another guy decides to wick it up to 30mph, but he takes a turn too fast and goes spinning off the track and gets injured. He has to pay for the damage.

At this point, the cop isn't actually doing his job of enforcing the letter of the law, he's letting everybody slide. So what happens if they raise the speed limit from 10mph to 20mph? The answer is that nothing really changes. 30mph is still too dangerous for most drivers and so they go slower than that.

Do I have a problem with Kyle Busch driving 100mph on an open road? Not at all. Do I have a problem with a properly trained 18 year old doing the same? No, I really don't. Do I have a problem with young punks thinking they have mad skillz and taking that same road at 120mph? I certainly do, but the speed limit ain't going to change that.

The speed limits haven't much changed since the invention of airbags, radial tires, seat belts, crumple zones, improved headlights, ABS, and better suspensions. People aren't driving more recklessly now than they were 20 years ago, the difference is that the cars are more capable of high speeds and the speed limits haven't been adjusted to reflect that.

Again, we need to go back to speed limits that are developed by engineers, not politicians.

I am particularly fond of the drivers who think that by flashing their highbeams at you, you are required to open the lane for them so they may continue to speed through.

I drive a 3/4 ton truck and don't give a flip so I slow down nd force the *****y to go around.

Once, I was fortunate enough to have a cop in front so when the DB sped around me........Busted! I was more than happy to point my finger at the guy and give him a big grin and a laugh.

I hate these drivers

If you are traveling in the right lane, I have no problem with this. America really does need to teach its drivers more of the Autobahn rules of driving. The Left lane is for passing. If you are not passing, get the hell out of the left lane. Unless you have a badge and a citation book, it is not your damn job to regulate my speed.

I was going to post the same response but sterling beat me to it . Also they will ticket you if you are traveling in the left impeading traffic even if you are doing the posted speed limit.

This is actually why your highbeams will come on when you pull the stalk on newer cars even if the lights are off they are actualy called passing lights. Its been this way in Europe for many years.

Same here in Aus. There are LARGE signs on every 4 lane road that say "Keep Left unless overtaking... Fine exceeds $110" and they mean it. (oh yeah, we drive on the right hand side of the car, so the left lane is the granny lane here.

I have to say that I usually follow the speed limits within reason, as well as parking laws etc. But here's where it gets a bit silly.

3am, sitting at a red light that has red light cameras pointed into the intersection. I look as far as I can see in every direction, with NO CARS TO BE SEEN IN ANY DIRECTION. Here I am, a grown adult sitting in the middle of the road, all alone, waiting for a light to change before I can proceed.

Almost the same as driving down the freeway in the middle of the night, not a car in sight, and driving the speed that a sign tells me to...

Oh well....

Like so many Pavlov's Dogs

yea well try Alaska where people drive 10mph below the speed limit in the summer and 30 over in the winter on ice and snow.

People here are morons to the tenth degree

In Ireland we have lower speed limits (and worse roads). "Most" people drive the limit +/- 5-10 kph. I tend to drive at the limit on a single lane road and up to 5 kph under on a dual carriageway. My logic is that if there is a passing lane I can drive 30 kph under the limit if I wanted to but not if I'd be blocking a road...

As for road safety I've noticed a huge difference between the US and Ireland with attitude toward both speed and drink driving. I got a cab once (Cape Cod) and the driver in front swung madly into the hard shoulder to let us past. The cab driver casually said, must be a drunk driver. It seems the difference is that many US people (generalising sorry) will drive after drinking if not drunk but still over the limit. Over here we now have random breath-test checkpoints; you can be "bagged" anytime without suspicion... Road fatalities dropped significantly after it's introduction and many less people will drive even with one drink in them which probably would still leave them under the limit, but reports are of this to change...

"The current limit of 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood or urine is the second highest limit in Europe. Ireland is one of just two countries with such a high limit."

Only recently were penalty points introduced and this too cut road fatalities...According to the National Roads Authority, the main contributing factor to the large number of road fatalities in this country in 2004 (96%) was the behaviour of the road user.

From the same website:

The main behaviour causing death and injury remain the same and include
1) Excessive and inappropriate speed
2) Driving while intoxicated, whether through drugs or alcohol

(Notice what came first)

Another thing that reduced road deaths here is the fact that every, and I mean EVERY death on an Irish road is shown on the national news (yes this is not possible with the size of the US population).

Have a look at this map…

Together with a very tough advertising campaign against speed including this one entitled "The Faster The Speed, The Bigger The Mess..."

[youtube]CItzzlCEeMg[/youtube]

There is a huge difference between a 2+ lane expressway and a 1 lane county road. On the one lane county road I will limit myself to 5 over the limit, and do not get upset with people driving the limit or a little under. On the expressway, I am consistently 10-15 over the limit, even here in Michigan were most expressways speed limits are 70 mph. Very few police in Mich. will pull you over for doing less than 10 mph over the speed limit on an expressway if you have Mich plates. I personally think that the police manpower would be better served trying to get people speeding in residential areas rather than on expressways.
When it comes to drinking and driving, it took me until my 30's to finally decide that there was no excuse for it, period. I made a lot of bad decisions when I was younger about driving after drinking, luckily I never got arrested or had any accidents. These days if I have 2 beers, I am not driving. That way my impaired judgment won't get me into any trouble.
On drinking and

Latest posts

Back