whats up with AHB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution:
  • Bulk grains - Order multiple 55# sacks.
  • Specialty grains - Order multiple 10# sacks.
  • Hops - Order by the pound.
  • Yeast - Order what you need...harvest the bountiful yield for foreseeable future.
Brew what you want, when you want. :p

EXACTLY what I do. :rockin:

I just inventoried all my grain- I'm sitting on about 400 lbs total. :rockin:

Solution:
  • Yeast - Order what you need...harvest the bountiful yield for foreseeable future.

View attachment 10023

Ladies and gentlemen, a historic event! BierMuncher's first picture of non-ugly junk!

:rockin:

Nope, I've seen those complaints. But if you take the Austin complaints, they would tower over the B3 complaints. I'd have to dig to find a complaint against Midwest, Williams, or Northern Brewer, but you can't tell me people haven't had issues in the past with them as well.

It's one thing to complain after you've tried to work with the company, totally different if they don't respond or you don't give them the chance.

Well, I've worked with them in the past, and, interestingly enough, when I PM'd forrest last time, he never responded. The last time I ordered during a sale, it took 10 days (yes, 10) to pull the order, then shipping time on top of that. I think Forrest is wise for stopping these storewide sales, TBH.

Quite frankly, though, B3's inventory problems are worse than the AHS delays, as far as I'm concerned. I wish them both the best of luck---looks like AHS is getting a bigger warehouse and a new employee, and B3 claims that fixing their inventory problems are their #1 priority for the new year. As for Midwest & NB, I've never had a single issue with either of them, and have never used Williams.

Everyone seems to be taking this sh*t personally, when it's just business. Yes, I agree, trying to fix the problem through the proper channels before posting in public is only common courtesy---but sometimes nothing changes until someone complains in public.

Evan.jpg

Everyone seems to be taking this sh*t personally, when it's just business. Yes, I agree, trying to fix the problem through the proper channels before posting in public is only common courtesy---but sometimes nothing changes until someone complains in public.

Is it just me, or does Evan! always seem a hard grasp on the balls of the issue in general?

Seems to me that Forrest is a small businessman, and he ran this 50-state **** as a small businessman. It looks like it brought in a lot more business than he expected, so he (and here's where **** gets serious, folks) hired more staff to cope with the influx. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the future when my yeast can be e-mailed to me in 0.0003 seconds, but until then, AHS seems pretty quick and reliable.

Also, the deal I got (not even on my discount day) was rediculous. Compared to my last online HBS, I saved some money and got higher quality ingredients.

I ordered from them after seeing good reviews on here. I ordered the 19th and they shipped the 25th. Yes a little slower than I thought. I was hoping to get it before this weekend but it will be here Monday. I'll just have to brew next week sometime. It does say on the site to pay the shipping if you want it expedited. If not just order a little earlier if you are happy with them. Not too big a deal. If I'm satisfied with what I get from them I will order again. But I'll order a little earlier. It's great to hear someone is very busy in these trying times. And I'm sure he is busy for a reason. :mug:
Anthony

+1 for supporting Austin Home brew. I typically get most of stuff from my LHBS, but I do order online from time to time, and AHS has been great! I had one small issue one time but that was resolved immediately. I look forward to teh CA sale day and have no problem with any delay as it is to be expected during a sale like this.

There are only problems when people complain. Stop freaking complaining. You are getting a hell of a deal. Tough **** if it ships later than you want it to.

Hey Forest, any chance once the 50 day sale is done you could give us a metric of which states had the highest % of orders? It's be interesting to see something like:
TX 12.2%
CA 10.3%
FL 9.2%

We could then tell those guys to move to a different state to get their orders faster :)

Don't want to keep dragging this on but I'm really happy with everything I've gotten from AHS. Tomorrow I'll be placing an order as it's my state :D When people ask me where I get my stuff that's where I send them. :mug:

Hey Forest, any chance once the 50 day sale is done you could give us a metric of which states had the highest % of orders? It's be interesting to see something like:
TX 12.2%
CA 10.3%
FL 9.2%

We could then tell those guys to move to a different state to get their orders faster :)

Texas will win by far. About a third of our customers are from Texas.

Forrest

I am a big fan of AHBS - and have been to there store as well. However, a few weeks back there was a post regarding extremely slow service and incomplete orders - once again Forrest replied that there was employee issues and he was addressing it. I was missing several items from my two page order, and while the guy I called handled it quickly, it still took about three weeks from original placement of the order until I got all my stuff to brew. I posted then that for several months we have been seeing posts about slow service from AHB and the repeated reply from Forrest that it was staff issues and is being addressed.

Well - until I start seeing positive posts and not excuses, I think I will give my business to a vendor that understands basic business philosophy. When I want to brew, I do not want excuses - I want what I ordered and paid for. I don't seem to have issues with any other vendor I order from - so I will stick to what works for me. It is not worth the extra two weeks wait to save $2 on shipping - and I am unemployed right now.

And for you guys who will flame me for my post - I like AHB, I really do - but I also do not think it takes several months to take care of personnel issues. Keep ordering from them and waiting several weeks to get your stuff - and hold your breath that all the stuff you ordered comes in. See post below:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/50-my-online-orders-have-been-screwed-up-101111/

I really, REALLY, hope they get there stuff together before they loose too many customers for good. Just callin' it as I see it...

I don't know why the people posting their concerns/complaints are getting slammed so hard. They have legitimate concerns and complaints. We all have to realize that we are talking about doing business, and there are certain expectations on the customer AND vendor side that come along with that.

Forrest's presence on HBT isn't for all of us to kiss up to him. It's a marketing channel for him, in addition to being his opportunity to get feedback to learn about how he can improve his business model and policies to better satisfy his customers and ultimately make more money and grow his business. Complaints in the business environment are often more helpful than hearing about what you're already doing well.

The take away from this thread is that quick communication with the customer is key. That's it.

So let's all just RDWHAHB!!! Damn, can't we all just get along?

so much hostility. i just want PA to come up on the 50 state sale so i can drop some of this tax return money

Bottom line for me....I only order on line from AHS. Nothing but good experience. Is a Texas store....that says it all for me.

Bottom line for me....I only order on line from AHS. Nothing but good experience. Is a Texas store....that says it all for me.

Anybody else think it was going to take this long for someone to start waving the Texas state flag? ;)

I ordered last Sunday for my state discount, and am a little surprised that mine hasn't shipped yet; it's by far the longest delay I've encountered in my many purchases from AHS. I only wish I had known in advance that the delay would be this long... I would have upgraded the shipping method accordingly.

I think the solution is simple:

Forrest, how about you simply post clearly and visibly on the home page, and then again during checkout, that there is currently a backlog of orders, and that shipping may be delayed up to x days if standard shipping is selected. To ensure prompt delivery, please select an alternative shipping option.

Austin Homebrew is a great store with excellent service. While I am strongly in favor of publicly discussing any issues with homebrew suppliers, I don't think that the degree of criticism AHS has faced recently is warranted. Hopefully Forrest will be able to resolve these issues or at least make it easier for customers to determine when they can expect their order to ship out at the time they place the order via an announcement as suggested above.

...While I am strongly in favor of publicly discussing any issues with homebrew suppliers, I don't think that the degree of criticism AHS has faced recently is warranted...

I respectfully dissagree with your assessment. I think the degree of criticism is a direct reflection of customer experience. Why does it take one vendor 2 or 3 weeks to ship a product, and another vendor the next day after ordering? William ships next day, same price for a like kit with liquid yeast (without the one day sale AHBS is running - I can provide proof if needed), for $0.51 more in shipping - and I have never had a problem with any order yet. I will willingly pay the extra $0.51 for my order to get to me 2 weeks earlier and I will put money that most other homebrewers would as well.

It is free enterprise at its best! Buyers are not stupid, they shop around and listen to feedback. No need to be "sheep" just because another group worships them. If a company can't fix "personnel" issues that are negatively affecting their business in 3 months time - I say there are bigger issues than just slow shipping.

As I said before - I like the guys at AHBS, they are cool and are helpful when I stopped by to see them at their store. I WANT then to succeed - really. If you are willing to work with them because of past experiences - great, I respect your loyalty. But don't bash the disenchanted customers because they are getting poor service and keep recieving the same old worn out excuses.

But don't bash the disenchanted customers because they are getting poor service and keep recieving the same old worn out excuses.

No bashing intended, at all. I also agree that criticism is in order because the shipping issues have, as I have previously noted, been going on for some time. However, the degree of criticism is, IMHO, not proportional to the inconvenience caused, particularly because this is really the only issue they tend to be sub-par on. Their pricing is competitive, their service excellent, they are rarely out of stock for extended periods of time, and their ingredients are very fresh and produce very fine beers. I realize, of course, that my opinion is nothing more than that, and I respect those whose perspective differs.

So yes, I hope that the shipping issues can be addressed, and in the meantime made obvious by notification of prospective customers as I have suggested above. If they fail to do so, they will (rightly) continue to receive public criticism. But I do not think that this singular issue should be interpreted as if AHS is a poor, unreliable company in general, which I would strongly disagree with.

No one mentions the $6.99 flat rate shipping. Is that something I should keep? It is the main reason there are delays. And it compounds when there is a sale.

I noticed Norther Brewers is up to 4 days to ship on their flat rate shipping. It used to be 3 days. They seem to be experiencing the same problem.

We normally ship within 2-3 days with the flat rate shipping. The sale has us behind 1-2 days. We have new employees starting on Monday. So, we should be caught up in a couple days.

For the past 8 years, approximately 40% of all of the daily internet orders are from new customers and the walk in floor has had a 20% increase every year. With over 25,000 customers so far and growing, sometimes orders go a couple of days behind. I am working to solve these problems caused by growth and insanely cheap shipping.

I am looking for a new store that is at least 12,000 square feet to hire more employees and have a bigger warehouse space.

I will keep you posted.
Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

No one mentions the $6.99 flat rate shipping. Is that something I should keep? It is the main reason there are delays. And it compounds when there is a sale.

I noticed Norther Brewers is up to 4 days to ship on their flat rate shipping. It used to be 3 days. They seem to be experiencing the same problem.

We normally ship within 2-3 days with the flat rate shipping. The sale has us behind 1-2 days. We have new employees starting on Monday. So, we should be caught up in a couple days.

For the past 8 years, approximately 40% of all of the daily internet orders are from new customers and the walk in floor has had a 20% increase every year. With over 25,000 customers so far and growing, sometimes orders go a couple of days behind. I am working to solve these problems caused by growth and insanely cheap shipping.

I am looking for a new store that is at least 12,000 square feet to hire more employees and have a bigger warehouse space.

I will keep you posted.
Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

I love the flat rate myself, when I can afford the time... I know it is more of a wait selecting the flat rate shipping, NB included too... I expect that!

I placed my first order with you about a month ago Forrest... It was impeccable from packaging to delivery...

I got up this morning and placed another! I am brewing this next weekend! I bumped the shipping up from flat rate in this case so I could get the goods on time...

Now after all that, I forgot to put in the dang dang state code! :)

Solution:

View attachment 10023

F-That...

Solution:pull up a spot on BMs couch for the foreseeable future.
-Me

I think that this is a HUGE point that people are missing. This cost is obviously not the REAL cost of what it takes to ship peoples orders (regardless of how MUCH they order) I can understand why it takes a bit longer to ship when going by this shipping model for your customers.

Ive ordered from your store before, and I will say that getting the order RIGHT the FIRST TIME (even after having to call in to make a change here or there) is worth the extra little wait.
+1 to AHS for attention to detail.

You think the wait sucks now? Try getting a botched order fixed...
There is your wait. (and aggro)
-Me

I will keep you posted.
Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

I want to say that I enjoy the various options you provide to ship, and it seems reasonable to assume that a flat rate shipping will take longer after all you get what you pay for.

In this day and age when everyone is looking to cut costs if we want something yesterday, then the best option is your LHBS as you can go there in person.

I enjoy supporting the LHBS as well as AHS as some items are cheaper at each location. Many people seem upset that orders are delayed and I would say that AHS could easily have avoided aggravating people by simply posting that during their big sale a delay was possible.

Forest, think of the problem like this...when you are at an airport and a flight is delayed, don't you get irritated? What tends to calm me down is knowing the reason for the delay...somehow knowing that makes the delay more bearable.

My order was delayed as well, but I wasn't overly concerned because I came to these forums first and knew the likely reason for the delay so I didn't feel the need to flame.

Keep up the sales, targeted or however man! My order should arrive early next week which will give me more than enough time to brew next weekend. I originally wanted to brew this weekend, but it turns out I'm still way too tired from Mardi Gras to brew so it's no problem.

Cheers.:mug:

I ordered from them a few weeks ago and it was shipped next day, no problems at all.

and it seems reasonable to assume that a flat rate shipping will take longer after all you get what you pay for.

Not singling this poster out... their post wasn't really about this... but Forest, here is the problem with the flat rate shipping thing.

ASSume.

It is very clearly stated but people are... well... let's leave it at that... ;)

You need to get the web guys to make one of those forced acceptance in order to proceed pop up check box thingies on this flat rate shipping option that says the order will be delayed.

They clearly aren't seeing/reading it.

I really feel for AHS. How about taking a cue from Amazon with the shipping prices? They have the cheaper shipping options but it's not automatic. When you go to the shipping page - the faster shipping method is automatic and you can downgrade your flat rate shipping to save money with the understanding that it may take longer to get your stuff.
You'll never make everyone happy, even if you execute perfectly there are going to be people trying to take advantage of you by complaining for free stuff or partial refunds or even just for sport.

-OCD

Not singling this poster out... their post wasn't really about this... but Forest, here is the problem with the flat rate shipping thing.

ASSume.

It is very clearly stated but people are... well... let's leave it at that... ;)

You need to get the web guys to make one of those forced acceptance in order to proceed pop up check box thingies on this flat rate shipping option that says the order will be delayed.

They clearly aren't seeing/reading it.

This is directly off their website under "Shipping and Returns:

"Orders placed with us will be shipped out within 2-3 business days. Our expedited shipping service will guarantee that your order will be shipped out on the same day that we receive it."

As a buyer - I would ASSume this means my order would go out within 3 days - NOT 3 weeks. ;)

I really feel for AHS. How about taking a cue from Amazon with the shipping prices? They have the cheaper shipping options but it's not automatic. When you go to the shipping page - the faster shipping method is automatic and you can downgrade your flat rate shipping to save money with the understanding that it may take longer to get your stuff.
You'll never make everyone happy, even if you execute perfectly there are going to be people trying to take advantage of you by complaining for free stuff or partial refunds or even just for sport.

-OCD

I am already on it. The $6.99 option has a bold header that says "I can wait 2-4 days for my order to ship" The expedite option says "I would like my order to ship in 1 day" I also removed the default.

Thanks to the 127 people that ordered yesterday. We are currently taking 4 days to ship. But we have new empoyees arriving on Monday so the ship day will be faster soon. Our normal shipping time is 2-4 days for the $6.99 flat rate shipping. 2-4 days is a realistic ship time for how much you save on shipping. And a day extra because we are having a sale and you saved even more, should be ok, I would hope. We have had people order a couple hundred pounds of grain on sale. They only paid $6.99 for shipping and we paid $76 for the shipping. We should have the best delivered price on just about everything. We can't have the lowest price on every item, but if you add up your entire order and compare, we should save you some money.

Thanks for the orders and support.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

This is directly off their website under "Shipping and Returns:

"Orders placed with us will be shipped out within 2-3 business days. Our expedited shipping service will guarantee that your order will be shipped out on the same day that we receive it."

As a buyer - I would ASSume this means my order would go out within 3 days - NOT 3 weeks. ;)

At checkout where you have to pick your shipping option,

Flat Rate Shipping Best Value!
Flat rate shipping is the best value because you pay only $6.99 to ship your entire order, no matter how large or small. All orders are completed in the order that we receive them, unless you pay to expedite. Then your order moves to the front of the line.

See what happens when you Assume?;);)

i am the original poster and alot of people bashed me.... i maybe a new person to brewing but i think i have alot of experience in customer service and i am glad to report they shipped my order, 8 days later, just thought that was pretty long wait....but i will say i am happy to get all the info about the problem from this forum....and for the people who bashed me for my complaint, i thought that was what open forums are about........complaints and positive feedbacks

I made up my order, and saved it under my "wishlist" for when Michigan comes up! I can wait on all of my items, but it's time to stock up! I'm ordering just about everything- sacks of grain, hops, cheese salt, specialty grains, yeast, etc. 10% off will save me over $25, so I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back