What's the point?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertRGeorge

Reaction score
Just curious, as a new member, what is the point of starting a thread such as "What are you brewing this weekend?" or "What are you drinking now?" that garners ten thousand responses in 24 hours? Nobody reads ten thousand responses, I venture to say. Is this just to pump up your stats or something? I know this is done on Twitter just to get replies.

Help me out here.

both are long standing multi-year threads. Not new to get tens of thousands of responses

It's just good folks making small talk. I post in those threads from time to time. Sometimes I'll read the last page or two as I post. I've actually gotten ideas for beers I want to brew or drink from them as well. I'm quite certain nobody expects you to read one or ten thousand responses, unless you want to! ;)

Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize these threads have been going for years. I'm drinking a three year old T'ej.

I'm drinking Sam Adams summer ale but maybe this is the wrong place to post this. I just wanted in on the action

Because this isn't just an encyclopedia of brewing info, like some outsiders and noobs might just think it is, but it is also a communty of folks drawn together over our love of beer and brewing. An so, we don't just share information, but we talk about things as well.

That's why you have a debate forum, talks about movies, or politics or tv, or sports, things beyond just beer.

Even though maybe we're connected by bits and bytes, many people develop good friendships on this site. Many which have translated into real world as well.

Some of my closest friends, both virtually and IRL, have developed from this place. And have transcended being just beer.

You wanna get an idea of what this community is like? Click on the link in my sigline, about my heart surgery drama....you'll get to see what develops on here beyond just the brewing info...but the regard and support people have on here for each other.

Postcounts mean nothing on here. But relationships mean a lot.

Revvy said:
Postcounts mean nothing on here. But relationships mean a lot.

Now don't tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you woke up tomorrow and your count was reset ;)

Now don't tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you woke up tomorrow and your count was reset ;)

I don't have a high post count because I give a **** about my post count. I have a high post count because I care about this community, and I interract on this; because I care about new brewers and their worries and I help them. Because this place is like my community and we get together and talk. It's not an Eddie Murphy movie where there's a limited number of word, or posts. I could care either way if posts are counted or not, I don't think ANYONE'S posts should be counted....But that's just the way things are on forums. I don't look at folks post counts, unless I think they might be spammers, or wonder why I've never interacted with them, but usually I look first at their join date.

I can't remember the last time I even looked at my own count, it means nothing to me. Except maybe it's a record of how many people I might have actually helped on here over the last few years. And that I AM proud of. It doesn't make me better than anyone. It's just a record of my contributions to HOPEFULLY eradicating new brewer's fears. A record hopefully of batches saved.

When I came on here, people talked about dumping beer all the time..."My airlock didn't bubble, so I dumped my beer (not bothering to take a hydro reading) "My beer didn't carb on day 7, so I dumped it" "I looked at my beer wrong, or made some tiny mistake, so I dumped it without waiting to see if something went wrong" "I tasted my beer 2 days after pitching yeast, it tastes like ****, so I dumped it."

I got people to slow down on the dumping. I think I got a lot of new brewers to RDWHAHB....It means I have a high post count, so ****ing what. What it really means, is hopefully I got folks to stay in this hobby, and hopefully they improved in this hobby......

That's all I really give a flying **** about...not a bunch of meaningless numbers.

People think I have an ego investment in this...I don't. I'm a minister, i help people, that's what I'm wired to do, it's in my DNA. Whether it's the new brewer who's worried about their first batch, or the mother whose son committed suicide by laying his head on a railroad track, and she walked into my church as I was getting ready to close for the day...or the Stewardess who's best friend died on 9-11, and I sat there for hours holding her...it's what I do.... it's really not much different. It's all about fear, and doubt and worry.

It just happens that here there is a number ticker attached to it.

*shrug*

To the op... its just because its common or popular.So to speak. Its easy and recogognized. Its just a common interest more often shared more often. Thats why the views and posts,because we like talking about what we are brewing or drinking. Kinda makes sense on a brewing website. We like drinking beer and brewing beer and talking about it.

Did someone ask for a point?

german%20shorthaired%20pointer.jpg

revvy's posts sum it up perfectly. Posts like that is why I hold him in high regard on this site. He always has good advice and is never shy about giving it or his opinion. He is right; this place isn't just an encyclopedia. It's a community where you get to meet other homebrewers and make connections that may translate into brew buddies. There is seldom a person on here that won't go out of their way to help anyone with anything. I like every thread and I will read almost every one. I might not have input on it, but I find it interesting when people discuss topics I haven't thought of. Especially the monster threads that have thousands of posts. I really enjoy reading the posts and seeing what people like and what they are in to. I have a relatively limited pallet and knowledge of homebrewing, so threads that are "What are you drinking right now?" open me up to trying new things. I bet if you asked, every person would provide tasting notes. Bottom line, HBT is awesome and that is why I visit this site every day. Keep up the good work moderators. :rockin:

Thanks for all the posts. I didn' t notice the difference between "new posts" and "new threads" I think!

Quite frankly, I enjoyed reading this thread! :) Not at first...I almost didn't read page two. But, then I read Revvy's first reply. Then, I watch bottlebomber set Revvy off (well, there was a lot of **** words anyway). And in the end, I was given an affirmation of what this place is all about and mildly entertained. Or maybe it was a lesson. Either way, what Revvy said is what I hoped it was about...most threads anyway! :D

Good on ya Robert George for starting this thread! You had a question/comment and you posted it! Cheers! :mug:

If you have seven pencils and I have four tootsie rolls, how many pancakes are on the roof?

Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.

I kinda agree with the OP. I posted up on that thread, read it a bit. Eventually, I unsubscribed to it. Don't read it anymore.

Same goes for the "What did you do for beer today" thread.

By no means am I suggesting we delete those threads or make lame threads on purpose though.

I will randomly click a page on the what are you drinking thread when I'm in the mood to try something new/different.

also, i see no reason why the post a pic of your swmbo thread should ever die.

Back